pH Help

Chris&Nicole

Hey guys and girls. My tank is now almost 4 weeks old. Nitrite is perfect, Nitrate is perfect, Ammonia is perfect but my pH is yellow (around 6??) It was bang on 7.0 when I started the tank and the only changes I have made are adding a big piece of bog wood and plants two weeks ago. I have a silver shark, angel, two black widows and a barb in there atm (260L). Is it the wood or plants causing the pH to drop? Any recommendations to get it back to 7.0?

The wood can cause it to drop a little.

I wouldn't worry too much unless your fish have very, very specific requirements (sorry I don't know anything about tropicals, me=native fish nut).

Generally it is much better for the pH to be stable rather than fluctuating (as can happen if you tamper with it chemically).

Hey guys and girls. My tank is now almost 4 weeks old. Nitrite is perfect, Nitrate is perfect, Ammonia is perfect but my pH is yellow (around 6??) It was bang on 7.0 when I started the tank and the only changes I have made are adding a big piece of bog wood and plants two weeks ago. I have a silver shark, angel, two black widows and a barb in there atm (260L). Is it the wood or plants causing the pH to drop? Any recommendations to get it back to 7.0?

Water changes, the wood will soften and drop the ph a bit.

Water changes, the wood will soften and drop the ph a bit.

Yep I agree. You can buy things to raise the ph but it's best if you can allow it to come up naturally, easier on the fish too as they don't like sudden changes. As long as your Nitrites, Nitrates and Ammonia are low the fish should be fine for a while.

My pH sits on 6 and comes out the tap at 7.4 - driftwood will lower it. Unless your fish require higher pH leave it as it is better to have a stable pH than to have one that alters all the time. Adjusting it unnecessarily will cost you time and money and you will risk swings.

...I have a silver shark, angel, two black widows and a barb in there atm ...

IMO all those fish will be fine with a pH of 6.0 - don't do anything to change the pH and the fish will live in there quite happily.

Just make sure when you are introducing new fish that you acclimatise them slowly. If they are coming from a tank with a higher pH they will need time to adapt to the lower pH in your tank. (I had a sad experience that taught me this lesson :()