Restarting

nicmack

new aqua one 980 tank started two weeks ago and I put in a small baby clown loach and albino brittlenose and a week later a small school of 5 harlequins ...i have done my first water change and kept on eye out for ammonia next week I am thinking about 5 cardinals to finish off...i want to put discus in...when should I be safe cycling wise...how long should I wait??

you have got to get at least four more clown loaches, they are highly social fish and can get very lonely, which will result in a shy fish. The more the better but note they can live a ripe old age, some say over 30 yrs and if well kept grow quite large. They also require large volume and high water flow please check on line about their natural habitat.

Hi nicmack.

..when should I be safe cycling wise...how long should I wait??

Until your tests read 0.00 Ammonia and 0.00 Nitrite. Only then is your tank fully cycled.

On uncycled tanks I do 30% water changes daily until the Ammonia spike is over then every second day until the Nitrite spike is over.

HTH

haven't seen a spike yet at all is that due to the volume of water of 215 litres vs the very few fish numbers and their very small size?

I'd go along with that.

I think you could probably add a few more fish now 8)

Keep testing the water and I reckon you'll be fine :D

• 2 weeks later...

okay well nearly three and a bit weeks into it I have 5 harlequins an albino bristlenose and a gold nugget added a school of rummy nose and in 24 hours only one left ! checked all water parameters and i still apparently have zero nitrite/nitrate and ammonia - I don't think I am getting enough of a bio load happening for a cycle - should i be worried about my rummy nose loss? - HELP