New tank - Fish?

Nana Luke

Hi guys and girls.

Looking to get a bigger tank and have found one that's 100l ish. I know, it's not that HUGE but it's certainly a start.

Looking for something interesting to put in it. Not really keen on a small community tank, looking for a pair/trio or whatevs of interesting fish. Keen to get some more cichlids. I had convicts and oscars in a big tank when I was a kid and they're great fish. But what else is there? I want something that'll be able to eat the guppys i'm going to breed in the smaller tank haha.

I was thinking Angels, Covicts, Kribs, or something else? that is quite readily available. All ideas appreciated.

Churrs

blue acara

jewels

dwarf cichlids (appistogrammas, rams, aequidons etc)

keyholes

lionheads

convicts

brichardi

pulchers

sajica

small tangyanikans

other small africans

these should be ok in a 100L tank (1 species only :lol: not all at once!)

Careful on that recommendation.

Convicts do (over time) get to 15cm each. So while a bunch of young ones may be ok, you'll need to rehome or buy a bigger tank at some stage (probably a year depending on quantity). They're also territorial when breeding, so I wouldn't get more than 4-6 to start with (they'll start breeding really early, so you might want an oscar tank to keep their population down ;) ). When their population reaches a certain threshold (too many to maintain territories) they do stop breeding though, although you'll still see the odd batch of fry. More rocks and caves the merrier.

Breeding pair of angels in a 100L would be fine.

Dwarf Cichlids all good.

Convicts are a lot of fun though (just dont try and put much else with them).

I was thinking of a single male convict when I recommended the species.

But, once again, the OP has failed to give us enough details. What kind of filtration will the tank be running and what are the dimensions? If its a 100L tall hex tank then I withdraw all my recommendations. Do you really want a breeding pair of cichlids that produce copious amounts of fry that you will soon be struggling to house or give away?

The answer you get is only as good as the question you ask.

Perhaps I should write an article about how to write a post or ask a question.... :lol:

On the note of 'too many fry', if you don't help raise the fry at all, populations usually balance themselves out. I started with 2 convicts, and the population hit a plataeu at around 50, after that young fry would barely last a couple of days (unless I was dumb enough to put them in another tank).

Same thing happens with angels etc.

If you do breed convicts though, only buy the best high contrast fish you can, none of this 'grey' convict stuff, either pure whites or all striped with dark stripes and bright white gaps.

Convicts actually have to be one of my favourite fish though. Hardy (they were breeding in the turtle tank at Animates Melling), easy to breed, personallity, attitude and great parents. Just a pain in the bum if you like friendly fish too (they don't share well). Kribs and Blue Rams are better cichlids for the community.

But yeah as above, 100L hex wouldn't suit convicts, they like their floor space. Angels and a pair of blue rams or kribs might love a hex though.

I love them too, so under-rated IMO. If I had a fishroom and a million tanks I'd be trying to selectively/line breed the biggest baddest male cons possible.

My GF has a beautiful male pink con in a 2' tank, its 'her' fish and she's responsible for the tank. He's got beautiful fins and digs like mad, but I don't think he's quite hit puberty yet as he's still a bit of a wuss. :lol:

But, once again, the OP has failed to give us enough details. What kind of filtration will the tank be running and what are the dimensions? ...

The answer you get is only as good as the question you ask.

Perhaps I should write an article about how to write a post or ask a question.... :lol:

Agreed David R - this is what always happens. But often the original poster doesn't know what info they should be giving or what questions they should be asking. So surely the first person to answer should be asking all the right questions instead of making recommendations.

The pattern should go like this:

1) OP asks "What kind of fish can I get?"

2) Second poster says "Before this question can be answered, we need to know..." and goes on to ask all the relevant questions so subsequent posters have more info to base their recommendations on.

Instead the pattern tends to go:

1) OP asks "What kind of fish can I get?"

2) "I like oscars. You should get them."

3) "I like killies. That's what you should get."

4) "You should get a school of clown loaches."

IMO it's a bit harsh to blame the "failure" on the OP.

Jeepers. Sorry for the hassle, just chill you lot.

It not a tall hex, It's a 2ft long. I'm getting a new filter to suit the tank. Will talk to my petshop boy tomorrow about filtration. Wasn't going to get a big group of convicts. Just wanted a pair or trio even if they were same sex. I'm not interested in breeding them. Said I was going to breed guppies to feed to a bigger fish, nothing about breeding cichlids.

I'd rather not have a breeding pair TBH, as breeding fish is a lot of work, and so is trying to get rid of the fry.

So maybe not convicts then?

I've never owned Angels. What are they like as far as personality goes?

Jeepers. Sorry for the hassle, just chill you lot.

No hassle, just trying to help. Its hard to recommend fish when all you know about the tank is the volume. :-?

So its 2' long, what are the other dimensions? The most important think when keeping multiple cichlids is the footprint of the tank. I'm still reluctant to recommend species and quantity because if your tank is 2' long, 12" wide and 20" tall then its going to be different to if it were 2' long, 20" wide and 12" tall.

Either way its not going to be big enough for angels long-term.

had a look in LFS today, and the baby convict they had in there had bits of orange on it? Is it really a convict or is it mislabelled or some kind of hybrid? I'd be keen to get a nice single cichlid in the 100 litre. They had a some sort of light blue cichlid in there too, there was other things in there too. Do Jewel cichlids come in blue? Cos there was a "melanochromis" in there or something, and it was just a baby.. and there was another label on the tank that said "small zebra" so the Blue fish, didnt look very "Zebra like"... so was it a jewel like the label said?

100L in most dimensions will be fine for a male/female pair of angels.

If you chose to buy 6 young, and grow them out, you'd eventually need to get rid of 4 (and they're not hard to get rid of, so its not a bad plan, almost certainly gurantees you'll have a breeding pair to watch who'll live together well).

Once they get to know you you certainly see their personalities, and personality disorders. For example I had two males in a tank, one was bigger but 0 aggression, the other was smaller but had huge insecurity issues, even after two weeks he wouldn't let up with the displays and aggression towards this one angel (out of about 8 other adults).

They also get to know you personally, and when they see you rush to the top. They're also attention whores, if you stare in to the tank at another fish, it wont be long until all the angels block your view entirely. When breeding I've had some pairs that would go to the effort of biting me (even jumping out of the water!) which was pretty awesome (doesn't hurt btw) but some are pretty relaxed, if you go for the eggs you just get this stern look and tall fins.

Yeah I'm basing my recommendation on the tank being 600L x 380W x480H which is a 'standard' 2ft 100L.

I'd have no qualms about keeping angels in that. I've seen two angels in a much smaller tank, can't remember the specs but I had to feed them for a month, was like 'oh my god', 100L would have been a luxury! Certainly didn't stunt their growth tho, but fins top to bottom stretched out could touch the gravel and surface at the same time in places.

When adults, more than one male in a tank that size would be trouble, but a couple or single would be ok.