chiclid with chewed fins

HelenMac

3 kadango's they are smaller than him,1 cobolt blue,

2 red shoulder peacocks, 3 chilumba peacocks, 1 red dragon peacock quite large sorry not sure if thats right name, 4 small orange zebra's and 3 smaller electric yellows, 1 iceblue 1 very small red empress and 1 smaller dolphin. Also 2 plecos in the tank.

The tank is male only tank. Tank is 4x2x2 with a sump underneath so round 500 litres.

Heya

There could definately be a culprit or culprits amongst your lot that will do damage if they feel the need, there normally is still a weakest link even when it is a male only setup, so possibly, yes they could well be picking on him, even male only tanks with no females present can still have major dominance issues at times.

Most africans get ripped fins from scrapping especially in a male only tank.. My ob peacocks male is quite dominant so its possible he has been scrapping for a position in the tank..

If he just has a few ripped fins and isn't getting picked on very much then don't stress about it keep your water conditions right and you can add some salt to your tank to help him heal..

If he is getting smashed up by something then you need to fix it either remove him or the other fish or add more, male only tanks can be very hard to balance at times and things can change at the drop of a hat.

If his torn fins get fluffy white bits on them (fungus) or start getting white edges (fin rot) you need to treat him I have found meth blue dropped directly on the affected area 1-2 times daily clears it up. You may need to remove him (but be careful when you put him back in as he will loose his place in the tank and may get chewed up again) but it depends how hard he is to catch and treat and how bad it is.

I have had fish so smashed they have no fins and removed them treated them with meth blue and had success nursing them back to health.

Good luck hope he recovers soon.

I would probably get rid of the ice blue male. I used to keep and breed them they're awesome looking fish but the males can be super agro no matter what number of them you keep they terriorise all the other fish in your tank. I got rid of all of mine because I got sick of them beating all my peacocks etc up.

I usually use rock salt from the supermarket and just chuck in maybe 3-4 handfuls in my 500L tank..

I think it was 2Tbs per 20L if you were going to work it out and do it exactly, maybe start with 1 Tbs and see if it makes any difference is he showing any signs of infection? You would have to add alot of salt to affect your african's, when I was using it in tanks containing clown loaches and bristlenoses it was fine..