Trimming Plants

Virgil

Ive noticed the past few days a bunch of our plants have really taken off, have now reached the top of the tank.

Just wondering the safest way to trim them (do i need too)

Also can i take clippings from them and replant them?

2724390130_0ba48704d0.jpg

They are the green plants on the outside of the reddish looking ones, this pic was only taken a couple weeks ago, shows how much they have shot up!

Funny enough the red ones which were brought at the same time are only half the height.

You sure can trim and replant Virgil. I have done this with some success in the past. Like with gardening there probably is a correct way of doing it. I've just been cutting randomly and then planting. Most have grown well but some have not so interested in hearing the right way of doing it.

You sure can trim and replant Virgil. I have done this with some success in the past. Like with gardening there probably is a correct way of doing it. I've just been cutting randomly and then planting. Most have grown well but some have not so interested in hearing the right way of doing it.

Sweet, so just a matter of hit and miss then.

Just curious to know how far down should i trim, or does that not matter?

It's pretty hard to do anything wrong when trimming stem plants. Just cut off the top, replant it and it'll grow new roots while the old stem will grow new tips.

Cheers that was what i was hoping to hear :D

Really surprised how much these particular plants have just shot up recently.

If it is the Star Grass - Heteranthera zosteraefolia on the far right not behind the driftwood - I usually pull the whole lot out, chop off about half the length, then replant it. (Usually by laying the stalks down and sticking a rock on top of them)

This means that you have the nice top growth showing all the time.

If you are not concerned about how it looks, you could just cut it down by two thirds and wait for it to regrow, do this selectively so that you have some top growth showing above the hacked off bits, rather than just a bunch of stalks.

Don't be too conservative with your trimming if things are growing really well, otherwise you will end up with top heavy plants where they branch off and multiply where you have trimmed them, and get all leggy at the bottom because they get no light.

If it is the Star Grass - Heteranthera zosteraefolia on the far right not behind the driftwood - I usually pull the whole lot out, chop off about half the length, then replant it. (Usually by laying the stalks down and sticking a rock on top of them)

This means that you have the nice top growth showing all the time.

If you are not concerned about how it looks, you could just cut it down by two thirds and wait for it to regrow, do this selectively so that you have some top growth showing above the hacked off bits, rather than just a bunch of stalks.

Don't be too conservative with your trimming if things are growing really well, otherwise you will end up with top heavy plants where they branch off and multiply where you have trimmed them, and get all leggy at the bottom because they get no light.

Cheers, yep its the stuff on the far right and left.

Have just shot up over the past week.

Love to have more as the fish love swimming between and behind them

Looking good.

Nice male Dwarf Gourami, too - ones with nice classic stripes are getting hard to find...

Cheers, yeah lovin the Gouramis, bought a couple blue ones initially then over the weekend got the 2 red stripped fella's.

The stargrass needs good light and will go black without it so it is best to keep it in small clumps and short. You can cut off the top two thirds and plant in front of the stalks to hide them (and they will sprout again). The other plants like the red one have been grown emersed and are best left to convert to submersed growth before trimming.

The stargrass needs good light and will go black without it so it is best to keep it in small clumps and short. You can cut off the top two thirds and plant in front of the stalks to hide them (and they will sprout again). The other plants like the red one have been grown emersed and are best left to convert to submersed growth before trimming.

Is that the stuff on the far left?

Ive broken them up from 1 big clump into a few smaller ones..yep your right about leaves going black.

The red ones havent really grown at all, so havent touched them trimming wise.