filter thingy in tank?

markvs

:o

I have just bought a pair of tanks and am a little confused.

The seller also had no idea, so I shall ask you guys;

In the back corner of the tank is a glassed in square. this extends from bottom,(and is sealed there) to about water level.

How is it used?

I had assumed that they were not sealed at the bottom, so with a air stone or whatever that would sort of function as an undergravel filter, or at least as a water agitation device.

If used as a pump inlet/outlet, then it would not give any much water flow/current.

If as inlet then it would give goodish flow as a surface skimmer, which as far as I know is pretty useless in an aquarium?

Any help,clarification will be greatyly appreciated. :o:( :oops: :wink:

So in that case, the water must be pumped to the sump as there is no sign of a hole for drainage?

If it were siphoned, then the siphon would stop when it drained the first time??

Sorry about the dumb questions, but although I have previously had fish, these new sump things etc. are new to me.

So in that case, the water must be pumped to the sump as there is no sign of a hole for drainage?

If it were siphoned, then the siphon would stop when it drained the first time??

Sorry about the dumb questions, but although I have previously had fish, these new sump things etc. are new to me.

Wait, after rereading your original post...There is no hole in the bottom pane of glass or the back pane? If it is meant for a sump there should be one(Assuming it was done correctly). Sumps do not, usually, use a siphon, the water simply drains back out.

So if it is just a totally sealed little chamber except for the top...Uhh...Yeah, I'm not really sure what it's there for. Could possibly be meant to hide a heater and cannister filter intake.

You wouldn't want to use it as a hidden return, you'd get pretty poor airation that way. But give it a try putting the filter intake in it.

Just a thought, sounds like it's clear glass? So it wouldn't hide anything in it.

Hmmm, Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I think I HAVE seen a couple wet dry filters that might be set up using something like that. If you fill it up with filter media and have a power head pumping the water back out to the main tank it would just splash over all the media.

They'd be a pain in the ass to clean though and you'd have to be pretty careful of the amount of water in the tank, as it evaporates it would be the water level in the chamber that would drop until it runs dry.

You're right, nothing hidden, but at least retained in a small area.

In idea No 2 the power head would have its inlet right at the bottom i guess, and the water level would have to be high enough that it would be capable of refilling faster than the head couuld empty it?

You're right, nothing hidden, but at least retained in a small area.

In idea No 2 the power head would have its inlet right at the bottom i guess, and the water level would have to be high enough that it would be capable of refilling faster than the head couuld empty it?

You'd probably want the power head itself at the bottom for simplicity. Obivously want a good one that doesn't need encouragement to restart after being turned off.

The easiest way to fill it would be just fill the main tank until it starts to pour into the chamber and then fills it 1/4 of the way or so then turn the pump on and add more water to the desired height. The main tank's water level will always be the same, it will be just the water level in the chamber that changes.

You'll need to keep an eye on the water level in the chamber as evaporation will make the level change quite quickly. You might find the tank needs topping up every few days. You might also want to put a bit of mesh around the overflow area to stop small fish being sucked over the top.