Tiger Barb Fry!!

SilverBlade86

Was trying to breed them.

I was trying an unorthodox method:

Get my 1.5f tank.

Fill completely with fresh water, with about 10% mixed tank water.

Heater set to 26

No filteration.

Lots of Java Moss.

I then chucked in a male and female into the tank. Few hours later, I noticed them spawning and waited a day before I took them out.

I originally thought it was a failure, but decided to leave the tank anyways for a few days. Checked it yesterday night and was wondering what those worm thingies were on the side of the tank. Looked closer and saw about 50 of those little guys. 8)

nice man! you should get hundreds using an egg trap. i conversed once with someone overseas who was trying to breed glowlights in large numbers like i was and she eventually gave up on glowlights and had way more success with tiger barbs. i don't think their eggs are as likely to fungus.

I have found sometimes the first sapwn of some fish is not as good in numbers and health of the egg.

I would suggest that you drop the water level down to about 50mm, this way the fry don't have to move as far to find food. The idea is for food to find the fry in the first few days.

Tiger barbs can have huge spawns, in the past i have spread them out between tanks and also knocked the smaller ones off.

Good luck

Yeah, I am quite keen on breeding them now. Originally when I couldn't sold them I thought it would be cooler to have a few more in the tank.

So I tried breeding them ... and now to try to keep them alive heh. :wink:

Edit - Will lower the water then. When can I raise it up again?

Just as they get bigger. Once they have a bit more size they will be able to hunt out food a bit better.

I used to get huge batches of gold barbs without a lot of effort - but yeah keeping them fed and thriving is the hard bit. And you never really make much money off them by the time you take into account all the time, effort, equipment etc you put into it! But it's still great fun and if you're lucky you'll get your money back when you sell them.

To be fair I only breed them so I could get more of those in the tank without actually buying more :wink:

Any extras could be sold I guess.

Yeah, that's why I started too - to get extra barbs and just to see if I could do it. Next thing I knew I had swarms of the little blighters! :lol: