Fungus on oscar

sorcha

Hi,

My oscar looked the other day like it had scraped itself and now the area has white fluffy stuff all over it, I've put it in a seperate tank & used stuff called 'tonic' from LFS which says a general cure for fungus infections, it also has methtylene blue in it.

Have added stess coat & some stress zyme, also added tonic salt & have done a water change.

He's improved in the fact that he's now swimming slowly around as he was justsittiing at the bottom of thetank, but the growth hasn't cleared up at all, what else can I do? Have followed instructions for the 'tonic' and used it all up.

I did also use mela fix but have run out.

You can get it at the pet shop.How long have you been treating him. Medication takes time it does not work in one or two nights.Im saying this as a few people i have noticed expect it to make fungus and other things disappear over night.

Hi,

Thanks, saturday night I put the tonic & salt in, then monday the stress coat. He's definately improved from how he was but just wanted to make sure I was using the right stuff & it only said to use it twice which I have so wondered what the next plan was ie how long until I change water or see the fungus improve.

So I guess a water change again, did one yesterday, will have a look at LFS but they didn't seem to have much selection for these sort of things when I looked on monday.

Yeah i've got him in an 80litre tank while treating him, he's only about 10cm's, also albino, not sure if they are more prone? His scales/skin has always looked dodgy since he first arrived like a different colour or missing scales, I wasn't too suprised when i saw he got sick, but don't want to lose him if possible!

Yeah i've got him in an 80litre tank while treating him, he's only about 10cm's, also albino, not sure if they are more prone?

That will be part of the problem - you really will need to get a bigger tank soon, otherwise your Oscar will become sick more and more often. They are a big messy fish, and need a fairly big tank to remain healthy. I'd suggest you get at least a three foot tank as soon as you are able.

That will be part of the problem - you really will need to get a bigger tank soon, otherwise your Oscar will become sick more and more often. They are a big messy fish, and need a fairly big tank to remain healthy. I'd suggest you get at least a three foot tank as soon as you are able.

Its been seperated, the 80L is a treatment tank i think.

I've put it in a seperate tank & used stuff called 'tonic' from LFS which says a general cure for fungus infections, it also has methtylene blue in it.

i think thats is a temp tank :wink:

So sadly my oscar died today :(

I thought he was coming right, the fungus had fallen off & he was swimming around again, wasn't eating but seemed alot better, then I did some big water changes like suggested & he just sulked at the bottom after that & looked quite sick.

I added some stress coat & mela fix yesterday as he had wounds from the fungus and it said it aids healing etc, couldn't find furan2.

Anyway he was dead today.

So what did i do wrong? Too much mixing of meds? too big a water change or not big enough?Just so I know for next time, hopefully there won't be a next time though!

cheers.