Compressed CO2 setup

Zabman

The problem is that a lot of CO2 suppliers won't refill anything but their own rental bottles - so they can make sure they are safe etc, although there are exceptions. In addition to the bottle you'll need all sorts of other bits to do the job properly, so $660 isn't really that bad - I paid nearly 2K for a fully automated set-up. When all is said and done CO2 isn't necessary for most aquariums - unless you are trying to breed difficult fish there are usually better alternatives - more light for plant growth, bog wood to lower pH, buffers to stabilise pH etc.

Thanks for your post TheConch!

Thats a lot of money to spend!!!

I'm not sure if you have seen my post in the freshwater section but am looking for a heavily planted tank feedback has suggested that a CO2 system would be the cheapest in the long run!

The thing on trademe comes with a bottle which you can swap at the supermarket so would be ideal - its all the fittings and counters and what not that concern me!

suppliers won't refill anything but their own rental bottles - so they can make sure they are safe etc

CO2 bottles are checked and certified just like LPG heater bottles. They are just trying to screw money out of you by making you rent. There is always some one round who will refill them, usually smaller guys that also do fire extinguishers.

Building up your own system is far cheaper, I had a fire extinguisher converted, bottle (including valve, cert, and fill) was about $120, the regulator was about the same again. This is about all your need, the rest is just a needle valve, some hose, and you can DIY a diffuser

The setups with small swap bottles will be using soda stream bottles, these are fine but expensive long term because the bottle's don't last that long and cost a lot more to swap than a bigger bottle is to refill. But with saying that when I was running CO2 in planted tank it wasn't long before the plants had grown to the point that I was just pulling them out each week, so I removed the CO2 to slow them down.

Oh and once you have used bottled CO2 you will wonder why any one would ever bother with those DIY yeast CO2 things.

Don't forget plants need nutrients, light and CO2 to grow, so make sure you sort out a good substrate and light as well or you are wasting your time with CO2.

As I said the bottle come from a scrap metal dealer, I just walked in and asked for his best looking CO2 fire extinguisher. The one I got was aluminum, but the tester said if you can get a really old steel one they are more likely to pass the test.

The company that did the certification and changed the valve is here.

http://yellow.co.nz/companies/Gas-Cylinder-Testing/Porirua-Cylinder-Testing-Laboratory/100412079_8405.html

Which is no use to you at all unless you want to travel down to Wellington. I also got my regulator from him, but BOC sells them as do a few other places (like TM) just make sure you get a CO2 one, some of the other type's can't handle the acidic CO2.

Once the CO2 is coming out of the regulator it is low pressure and you can treat it just like air coming out of your air pump.

learn how to control how much CO2 is going into the Diffuser

I made my own bubble counter, but they are cheap enough to buy now. Basically I got a small clear(ish) pill bottle, drilled two holes in the lid, that are a tight fit round the tubing that I pushed through them. The tube coming from the needle valve goes to the bottom of the bottle, bottle is 1/2-3/4 filled with water, the other tube is above the water line. Once the gas is on you can see the bubbles going up through the water.

You should also look at getting a one way valve to stop your bubble counter and tank water syphoning back into the CO2 bottle when the gas runs out. Theres a guy on TM that sell stainless steel ones for about $10, perlenz(?)

Making some slow progress - purchased a regulator!!!

LE250-RG001

Now I just need to get a needle valve, solenoid valve & learn how to control how much CO2 is going into the Diffuser (and how much I need)!

You can get all in one setups for about $170 + bottle. Add a bubble counter to your list

• 2 weeks later...

A Co2 proof non return valve is a must, the normal plastic ones you buy will not hack the pace, I use the stainless one that I purhased off pearlingnz, you had better invest in some Co2 proof airline as well, the normal stuff goes brittle.

I have a bubble counter that came as part of a setup that I don't use, it is sort of like the one Suphew described, clear plastic bottle with a green top that you attach the line to. Drop me a PM if you are interested in it.