Vallis die-off - is it natural?

DubbieBoy

Hi everyone,

All my Vallis upped and died on me this week for no apparent reason and I was wondering if this in any way common? It had been doing really well in a pretty heavily planted tank in which everything else appears to be thriving. The Vallis had been throwing out plenty of runners, as many as ten new plantlets on some of them, and then this week, in the space of a couple of days, all the leaves have browned off and are dying back en masse. All (and only) the Vallis plants seem to be affected; its like some sort of mass suicide.

The only significant water-chemistry change which coincided with this die-off was the addition of Flourish Excel this week to try and combat some low-level BBA. It seems to be doing the trick for the BBA (which has turned red and is slowly dissappearing, yay...) but is there a chance it could be responsible for killing off my Vallis too somehow? It does seem awfully coincidental...

I had assumed that Vallis throwing out lots of runners and propagating itself was a good sign and that the plants were doing well; is it also possible that this is just part of its life-cycle and unavoidable? The new plantlets seem to be dying off too though :-(

When Vallis throws out runners like this, should they be detached from the parent plant at some stage?

Is there any likelihood that the root-stocks might eventually regenerate, or would I be better off pulling the lot?

The tank itself is 216l with HQl pendant lighting, DIY CO2 and Seachem ferts. All other fish and plants appear happy and healthy...

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...

• 2 weeks later...

I vaguely remember reading that vallis tends to go through dieoff cycles. It'll grow great, die off, grow again, die...But, I don't know if it's due to some factor other than the life cycle of the vallis. If they need a lot of calcium like Warren says that could be due to them using up all the calcium, dieing then growing again once the calcium builds back up.