cutting down 4 foot light hood to 3 foot....

matthewY

I ended up buying a 4 foot light hood without noticing it was a 4 foot one :-(

thinking now that I eitehr sell it or cut it down to fit in my 3 food tank. Anyone have any suggestions as to how easy it would be to convert 4 foot light hood to 3 foot one? I figure it would be a simple cut to size (with all the parts / cables removed first, reposition teh fittings for a 3 foot one and change the transformer / ballast.

Anyone know if this is going to work / not work? if its worth doing / not worth doing?

You probably won't need to change the ballasts or anything. Just cut it down to size and move the fittings. The 3 foot tubes will be overdriven a bit, the 4 foot ballasts usually put out a bit over 100 volts, 3 foots will be less. Just means the tubes may need replaced more often but will be brighter.

Of course, 3 foot ballasts should be cheap and easy to replace.

Sound quite do-able then. I will investigate once it arrives, see how easy it is to remove the end caps :-)

As to selling it, yeah been thinking about it, got it at a good price so could maybe make afew $$$ of it to buy the 3 foot one but issue is no one really seems to sell the 3 foot ones at nice prices... i need pretty much a 2 tube light hood.

A bit concerned overall about over driving teh tube thouggh.... hard to predict how long teh tube would last compared to if it wasnt overdriven (tubes can be costly too). Anyone know how much new starters cost for 3 foot tubes? if they are cheap then I might aswell replace that too...

There aren't really 3 foot, 4 foot etc starters. They're usually just rated at a wattage range like 4-80 watts. The starters you should have already will work fine.

And even if you needed new starters they're only a couple bucks. Place I bought some tubes from once had a basket full of them next to the till and would give you a handful for free.

Overdriving them will make the ends blacken really quickly - when I was feeding a 4 foot 36 watt tube off a 5 foot 58 watt ballast I got about 3 months on the tube, it was a lot hotter then one off the right ballast and not really that much brighter.