meh... first loss

myxsptlk

Never thought it would happen but it did, my little clown jumped

Dad text me to say he couldn't find one of my clowns and I thought she's either hiding or she jumped. So I rushed home from work and glanced in the tank and nope she wasn't there so had a quick look behind the tank and there she was. Poor thing.

The hole she jumped through is where my return enters the tank, its not the smallest of gaps but with the pipe coming through and wires for pumps and heaters etc she would have had to have excellent aim to get through there!

How long does it take for a dead fish to dry up? According to my dad she was still there around 4, and I got home at quarter to 6. When I found her she was completely dried up and stiff, eyes and mouth sunken, literally mummified. What I think happened was she jumped and landed on the lid and got dried up by the halides while slowly wiggling away till she dropped to the back, which makes it all the sadder cos she was dying while she was frying. Hope that's not the case

If anyone remembers she was the sick clown, she never was right but did well to start eating and get her strength up. She always swam funny and at times looked like she was gonna go anyway but always picked up when I waved my fingers in front of the glass. I always knew she'd be the first to go but never thought it would be like this :evil:

She'd just been moved into the new tank last night, but was swimming around with her mate exploring the tank nicely and got along well with the blue tang (blue tang is about 4 times her size by the way). Does anyone else's tang have a habit of swimming round the top then suddenly shooting off to make the water splash? I've seen her do that at least 3 times. I'm wondering if she did it when the clown was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Oh well I can only wonder what made her do it.

Gonna get some plastic mesh or something to put around it. No more fish of mine are gonna jump through there!

:( sorry to hear that. i have read on nzmas about someone else who had a blue tang that would swim up to the top and either spit or splash water at them, however i never saw mine doing that.

you mention that you have a lid but also metal halides, how do you find that with the heat from the halides?

Hey olli,

I have an mdf canopy with the fitted inside, then glass lids on top of the tank. The canopy is open back to help with ventilation and also makes it easier for to run things into the tank

Heatwise, the water temperature is very stable, my lights are like 10mm from the glass lids and still haven't had a problem with them yet, but I might redo them to put them a bit higher up, it's a bit of a pain to get the glass lids off.

The canopy however, doesn't like the heat too much eheh. When it gets cold it sags down the middle and looks funny, but once the lights go on and things heat up enough it goes right again. Not ideal but hanging is not an option for me and I like the look of a canopy.

Does anyone else's tang have a habit of swimming round the top then suddenly shooting off to make the water splash?

Blue Tang = Dory = st00pid fishy.

THere are all kinds of stories about blue tangs and stupidity heh.

And yes, heard of that before. Splashing water with their tails..

Yellows do it as well

Its funny to hear you guys talk about your fish as if they were your dogs...who said you could'nt take a gold fish for a walk??? I am not abnormal after all :lol: , the girls at work think I am mad :roll: when I talk about Sponge Bob and Long nose Larry!!!! I even filled up the lolly jar with chocholate fish!!! :bounce: I got the cabinets finished on Sunday, they look great, but I did think that the noise whould be alot better, it not made much difference. :evil: The anenome that got caught in the pump is fully recovered and is stayng in one place....for now anyway!!!

... talk about your fish as if they were your dogs...who said you could'nt take a gold fish for a walk??? I am not abnormal after all :lol: ....

haha, check out "fish tricks" on Youtube sometime! there are little netball, soccer , hoops and all sorts of little sporting accessories, which people have trained their fish to "play" :lol:

Sorry about your little clown going carpet surfing :( that is so sad