GG in a Planted Community Tank?

skaffen

I have a fairly large Bala Shark that I inherited, but he's not brightest fish and I'm thinking of trading him in for something with a bit more spark.

I'm liking the sound of a Giant Gourami more and more. Would one be OK in a planted 440L community tank?

Yes, he would go fantastic, buy mine for $40!!!

haha na joking, he'd rip your plants to shreads. They have teeth too, so big leaves wont save them. Great fish but:

plants + GG = no plants.

Might even go the Bala Shark as well. Until they're mature they can be a wee bit aggressive.

lol, oh well, can anyone suggest a plant friendly largish smart fish with lots of character???

I'm probably going to trade/donate the Bala to a LFS who have a nice big tank with a couple of mature Balas already. He tries to hang out with my Golden Gourami, but the GG only tolerates it for a bit then runs and hides... i think he'd be happier with a few kin to school with. I'd get another, but I don't think my 440 would be big enough for two, and like I said, he's not the smartest fish...

I had similar feelings about my balas/silver sharks. They are pretty much the cows of the tank. Shy and kinda dumb.

You really need a pack of them. They behave much like my rainbows. The largest is cetainly the boss and chases the rest about the place - but it is clearly a more of a game with the sharks because the smaller ones appear to know what's up and egg him on...

When they were much younger I had 5-6 and they schooled about wheeling up the glass and were awesome to watch. As they got older they settled down some but they are pretty much a racey fish that plays amongst themselves.

Have 3-4+ together so you can watch them play or move him on. They aren't a personality fish. good fun if you have the space, a number of them and you give them a little weed cover to hide in when they play chasing/hide and seek.

That explains the behaviour he exhibits with my Golden Gourami - he wants a few pals to play chase/hide with. Thanks for the info :)

Do you guys think a planted 440L is big enough for three balas? I'm thinking no, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

I'd say that'd be good for most of the time. 440L and 1.5m long is a big tank, and they're not super fast at growing. If that's big enough for 3 oscars (which it is), it'll be fine for the balas. You should be preapred to either move them on if they look cramped in a few years, or upgrade to a larger tank. For the meantime 3-4 would be fine.

I'd say 90% of Balas end up dead or in much much smaller tanks by the time they age. If anything you'd be doing them a big favour.