RCD power point's

Hoody

Just make sure your RCDs or piles of RCDs turn back on after a power cut (not a trip, thats different).

Water is a poor conductor but it does conduct. The only electric shocks I've ever received in an aquarium were mild. But the most common causes I've heard of, had happen etc are broken heater glass (so the heating coil is surrounded in water), and water on four way boards when you pick them up.

An RCD is a good way to save you from those experiences. Just make sure it turns back on after power failure (not a trip though, cause that'd be silly). If you can't get the RCD power points with auto-switch on after power cut, then get a normal plug and fit a plug-in RCD that does.

IMHO you should not have anything that re-sets itself when tripped, its down right bloody dangerous.

The reason for something tripping in the first place is that there is a fault on the circuit. You do not want to be the one causing the fault only to discover it re-sets itself causing you to be the fault all over again, do you?

Good point, allthough I ment to say after a power cut. My bad! :)

Wow, 6am post, some guys wake up early :-)

The main RCD's ive seen to use a relay of soem kind which gets turned on when you push teh green button and cuts of when it either trips or when there is no longer power to keep the relay on (during a power cut). I know my $12 bunnings one works in a similar way. To test this, just turn the power switch on teh socket off while using rcd, wait afew seconds and tuen it back on (without resetting it from teh rcd ofcourse). If all is well then good, simple power cut simulator :-)

The one I have would not re-arm??? itself when tehrs apower cut :-(

Thats a requirement for the plug in ones so that if some idiot puts a tool down after a power failure and doesnt turn it off, it wont restart when the power comes back.

Quite right indeed, the power board ones will always switch off when the power is cut.

You really should look at a hard wired one on your switchboard to be on the safe side.