Q tank

Gill

Hi How long should you keep fish in the q tank for before adding to the main tank . Both my tanks are stable now all levels are great and healthy fish. I want to add some new fish ,thought about some hatchet fish and some neons ... 8)

I agree with a couple of weeks - you can usually tell if you're going to have any problems by then. But do observe the new fish carefully for any signs of ill-health and if so, delay transferring them into your main tank until they are completely well.

Time in the quarantine tank is also an opportunity for you to observe your fish, work out what behaviour is normal and what is not for them, and make sure everyone is eating etc.

Also, always make sure you have a good lid fitted to your Q-tank. Those stressed little fish you just brought home may be keen to jump out! :roll:

Well you need some kind of filter unless you change the water regularly. Otherwise your new fish could die of ammonia/nitrite poisoning. I'd only clean it after a sick fish has been in there. Although an alternative that I have used on occasion and specifically with fry, is to have a sterilised filter loaded with Ammonia and Nitrite removers. Java Moss doesn't hurt too.

I usually have a mature sponge filter lying around in one of my good tanks, and can move it in to a new fresh setup Q tank if its needed. If a disease was present, I'd sterilise it and wash in hot water before putting it back in the good tank though.

I have 10 small tanks used for breeding and raising fry and none have airstones or filters and it is not a problem. Filters are a very easy way to spread disease and if you sterilize them you have to wait until the tank recycles (about two weeks--about the Q period) so it defeats the whole purpose.

If the filter is established and from a disease free tank it wont be a problem. It would be if your Q tank was always setup, e.g. fish coming and going a lot.

On those filterless tanks alanmin, how often are you changing the water? and what %? Are they fed live food or usual flake?

Quarantine works both ways. You are just as likely to pick up a sub clinical disease and put it in your Q tank if you use your filter in another tank to seed it. As Caryl said low stocking and water changes but mainly the first. I have 6 tanks set up for spawning at the moment with between 3 and 5 fish in each and no water change in 4 days (30 litre tanks) and probably wont for another 3-4 days with no filter or airstone. They are both methods of cheating and the fish can be OK without cheating. I have some fish coming soon and the anonamous supplier has put them under stress for a while to bring out and treat any diseases which may be there.

There is a lot of sub clinical disease around which only comes out with stress. Quarantine is Quarantine and is pointless unless complete.

alan wrote:

You are just as likely to pick up a sub clinical disease and put it in your Q tank if you use your filter in another tank to seed it.

Okay, now I'm soooo confused, no shock of course! :-?

This was one of the things that I didn't understand. If you take a, say extra filter, from another tank and use it for a Q tank than do you have to get rid of it after you transfer the new fish? Do you put it back in the original tank you took it from?

I haven't been purchasing many fish lately but the few I did purchase I've put in the 10 gallon which is still home to my 3 cory's. Last Sunday I did put a red eye tetra in there (from another tank) who appeared to be suffering from fin rot that was getting worse so I put him in there to treat. His dorsal (that's the top right? :oops: ) fin came back really good but half of his tail fin wa gone, there was no change. Came home today to see him stuck to the filter :(:(

Anyway, all I planned on doing is a water change. Should I do something else? Does this mean if I get any new fish that I can't use this tank again?

Caper :-?