Nitrate levels all out of wack

Lush

The nitrate levels in one of my tanks are way out of wack (real high). i have been doing water changes everyday for the last week and gravel cleaning every second day but still no change to the level of nitrate, its driving me crazy trying to figure out what the cause is and i will be so crushed if i lose another baby. i have 3 blue zebras, 3 lionheads and 2 peacocks (were 3, one died). they are all babies. anyone got any ideas as to what else i could try to fix this problem?

blue zebra is holding again so i want to get this this sorted before i strip her and the babies go into the tank.

no rocks in baby tank, few bits of coral but i move them around when i clean, i am not overfeeding thats why this is a mystery to me as to why its so high. test kit is fairly new only bout a month old, plus i have used test kit on my other tanks which all have normal readings.

my blue zebra babies are only 1cm so i have a corner filter specially for babies and it seems to be working fine. could the gravel have anything to do with the nitrate levels? reason i ask is cos there is nothing else in the tank other then babies, filter, heater, coral and some gravel.

:-? I'm stumped. Hopefully someone with more experience can help.

I don't know if it could be the gravel. I use BB tanks for fry.....it's easier to keep clean.

Maybe take out some of the gravel, put it in a jar of clean water (low or 0 nitrate) and check to see if the nitrate level rises.

How big is the tank? How long has the filter been setup?

If your doing water changes then the nitrate levels should be going down regardless of whats been going on in the tank.. How old is your test kit? they do expire and give incorrect readings when expired..

You say you've lost fish in that tank, what were their symptoms before they died?

I don't think it will come from the gravel..

How big is the tank? How long has the filter been setup?

If your doing water changes then the nitrate levels should be going down regardless of whats been going on in the tank.. How old is your test kit? they do expire and give incorrect readings when expired..

You say you've lost fish in that tank, what were their symptoms before they died?

I don't think it will come from the gravel..

Filter setup 2 weeks prior to adding fish. nitrate level is not going down with water changes, hence the fact i am totally baffled as to the prob.

test kit is only month old and has been used on my other tanks which all have normal readings.

peacock that died had bend in tail then next day it was dead, i just put that down to sick fish, as other babies in tank seem happy.

How big is the tank? Was the filter setup with any sort of fish in the tank or just in an empty tank or was any established media used in the filter?

I guess the suggestion of measuring your water change water isn't a bad one maybe your adding the problem with your "fresh" water?

Have you tested the nitrate level in your water supply? Just a thought - daily/regular water changes and high nitrate levels suggest nitrate in source water perhaps? Good luck with sorting it out...

yeah thanks i have tested water supply and its reading normal.

How big is the tank? Was the filter setup with any sort of fish in the tank or just in an empty tank or was any established media used in the filter?

I guess the suggestion of measuring your water change water isn't a bad one maybe your adding the problem with your "fresh" water?

ryan tank is 2ft. my guppys were in the tank when filter was setup.