Over 300 watts?

Adrienne

called up SOG and they dont sell them anymore :-(

I have pulled out the old heater and had a closer look. I'm now starting to wonder if its a scratch rather then a crack. Thers 2 parallel lines evenly spaced apart for about 3 or 4 cm down the side and when i "lightly" push on the line, i cant feel it moving or anything.... so question.... is this safe to use? I havent had a shock ever but dont want one either....

I have removed it for now and using a 200W aqua one and it seems to be working hard but keeps at 28 degrees... putting insulation around the tank too...

oh yeah, tehres no moisture in the heater.... emmm... too scare to put it back in though....

Just put it back in and watch for bubbles from the suspect area when its first heating up. What will happen is they will cool down and suck water in as the air contracts so if you see bubbles, its no good.

edit: and if you don't have it on an RCD, then you should be careful regardless of suspecting the heater, since they are liable to break anytime. So go and get yourself an RCD in any case. If you have one, and its tested OK then you have nothing to worry about since there will be enough leakage to trip it if there is any conductivity thru the heater, crack in the glass or a leak at the top seal.

Another tip if you suspect something is wrong with your heater (or any other tank stuff): Don't put your hand in the water! ALWAYS unplug the suspect appliance before you touch the water.

A few years ago I knew a guy who was thrown across the room by a broken heater! While he was at work his tank developed a leak, the water level dropped, the heater cracked when it got exposed. He came in the door after work, saw the mess made by the tank and decided the first thing he had to do was net out his fish. As soon as his hand touched the water, KAPOW!

So yeah if you don't take richms' advice and get an RCD, be very, very careful!