REDSEA MAX

perren

hi all just a quick question in my redsea max i have removed the white filter pad and have cut the black spong in half. Every 3 days i remove the black spong and swap it for the other half i have allready cleaned and then wash the dirty spong out. I have read that a lot of redsea max owners have removed both white pad and black spong but if there was no spong would that mean the dirty water going over the overflow would go stright to the skimmer and at worse blocking it and making the skimmer very dirty very quickly and would the water be as clear without being filtered with the spong.

thanks perren

Hi perren,

I've removed all the sponge and yes, some particulate matter does get through the system and back into the tank, although it doesn't seem to cause any real problems. The skimmer should remove most particulate matter anyway (that is what it is supposed to do). Just try it and see how it goes - if you are unhappy with the result just put some sponge back in :wink: