Black Neon Tetras - Buoyancy Prob

skaffen

Hiya

A couple of my black neon tetras don't seem to be able to maintain buoyancy - they sink whenever they stop swimming and are always swimming in a nose up position.

Is there anything I can do for them, is this a common ailment? They don't seem to be too bothered - they eat as well as the others and aren't the runts of the school.

-Simon

Are they swimming upwards against a filter current thats flowing downwards? My fish always are pointing slightly up when they are swimming at the front of my big aquarium, as the filter current flows across the top of the tank and down the front glass

They are the ones with an almost entirely black body, I think that's the brillant black varity?

I got 11 of them about 3 months ago. One has disappeared, I never found the body so it was eaten or decomposed under some wood I presume. One has spinal curvature and a somewhat bleached colouring, it's quite small too.

The two with bouyancy problems are otherwise healthy looking. They do it regardless of current direction, and as soon as they stop moving they sink - must be tiring, I get tired watching. Actually, in all seriousness, it detracts from the usual peacfull feeling I get watching the tank, just knowing the poor little guys are constantly struggling :-(

Is this species known for low genitic diversity, "Mah mother's mah sister" type issues?

The Brilliant Blacks came into the store where my hubby works and the majority of them ended up with swimming difficulties, bobbing up and down, nose pointing upwards and forever moving due to the fact that whenever they try and stop moving they just drop...

Both lots came in like it, so definately a problem there with the Brilliant Blacks.

I was going to try get a school of 6 black and 6 brilliant blacks and try breed them, but mabe i wont now. :-?

Doing so could result in a few brilliant blacks that CAN swim. Quite common to breed back to the original line to restore lost strengths. For the first few goes you'll get lots of plains, sick plains, and sick brilliants, but should be a few that are good brilliants, or if its recessive you may have to inbred lots of them. Fun Fun with DNA.