clown question

Sally J

I have two clowns in my reef tank, and the anenomy has split into two...so I have another two clowns in my fish only tank, can I introduce the clowns into the reef...don't want fights, but the fish only tank clowns would really love to have an anenomy. I had to remove my fire clown from the reef as he wanted both amenomies to himself, and gave the clowns a hard time being a bully!!

i don't know :oops: the most comman one i surpose. The two in the fish only tank hide most of the time around one of the pumps at the top of the tank. Eventually I want to make the big 6ft tank into a reef, at the moment my 4ft tank is a reef tank. I am not too clever with my alkaline and calcium levels, at the moment I just add Reef Iodide, Reef complete (raises calcium) and Reef Plus (vitamin). About 20mls 2x a week. My coral all looks good but I don't have lots of new coraline algea, which I would like. I would like to find out more about calcium reactors...would love to be able to see someones tank going with one...I think I am the only salt water person in Marlborough??? and what about lime water???

You need to start testing your Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium. Other than temp and salinity these are the only tests you need to do, but you MUST do them.

You shouldn't add anything to the tank that you aren't testing for, and there should be no need to add Iodide or vitamin (what ever that is???)

Kalk water (lime) is very easy to do and if you have a low coral (calcium) load it should remove your need to use the reef complete (if you even need to be using it, because water changes could be taking care of your ca/kh needs). To use Kalk, you just mix it with your top up fresh water, wait for it to settle and top up as usual. I have a 60liter rubbish bin I fill with fresh water each week or so and pump into the tank for top up, I put in a cup or two of kalk each month or two and have small pump in there that comes on for 15 minutes a few hours before top ups start to mix the kalk with the water.

Thanks for the advice.... :o:o I surpose I will have to test with the new tester I got from SA. I did once but I gave up....will try again. Maybe I could ring you about the kalk....so that you can exlain it better. :bow: ...by the way I am NOT blond!!! :lol: :lol: and thanks Caryl for including those pictures, those clowns are in my big tank and I have the new ones which came with the amenome in the reef, they look the same kind. I must work out how to put pictures on here, I have some good ones. Thnks for your help and I shall get my test out right this minite!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks Caryl. I have tested the water.....

Calcium = 470ppm

Alkalinity = 3.2 meg/l

PH = 7.9

Salinity = 1.026

I don't have a magnesium test...I should get one as I add about 3 t-spoons about twice a week. The volume of the tank is about 286lt. 4ft with a sump.

Looking forward to the "prognosis" and how to make it better!!

Thanks for your help :hail::hail:

Something funny....I went to bed the other night really depressed because I had found my red and white shrimp dead and removed it...well the next morning I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him still alive!!!! I was sooooo happy :lol: :lol: :lol: I am still not blond!!!! :oops: :oops:

Your Ca and KH are great. You should get an MG test kit but don't rush out to get one, if your MG was low you would find a lot of problems keeping your Calcium that high. Since you are adding MG it is most likely quite high, this isn't a big problem, you can go a lot higher than recommended with out problems. It is something that isn't used very quickly by the tank, I only dose every few months. I just checked my records and I last dosed at the start of April (up to 1500) the last test I did (couple of weeks ago) it was sitting at 1425. Natural sea water sits between 1300 and 1500. BTW when I add Mg I do it by the beer jug full, there is a lot of it in sea water, almost as much as salt.

my PH is alittle low?? How do I get the coraline algea to grow?? Just be patient??? Everyone looks happy in the tank, I do a water change every 3 weeks, I replace about 40lt, I use natural sea water. I top up with rain water. What happens when your calcium level goes too high??

pH is a little low but don't worry about it, it's likely to be from to much CO2 in the air, either from a gas heater or just having the room closed up with people breathing. Unless you can get more fresh air in there, you are better off not trying to fix it, stability is the key, not spot on correct numbers.

You will soon be wishing you had less coralline algae, once you start having to scrap it off the glass, just give it time.

Calcium get too high?? Do you mean Mg?? It's very difficult to get calcium too high. I guess having MG too high causes problems at some stage but I know of people that keep their Mg at 2000+ppm.

Thanks, yes the house is closed up....-4 overnight!!! Snow on the hills too!! What can you do about a fish with a poped out eye?? He has had it before and it cleared up after having him in a seperate tank. Will it clear if I leave him where he is?? There is abit of white spot in there I noticed yesterday, will do water change today...under difficulty, as I have my foot in plaster!!!

yeah, had surgery last Thursday. I got Den to put the clean salt water in buckets by the tank so it was just a matter of chucking the dirty stuff out the door!!! The challenge next will be to get my "crew" to go to Rarangi and get me more water!!!! :lol: :lol: I've run out now!!! I shall be able to order instructions with my crutches!!! :lol: They will just love a day at the beach!!!!