suggest a filter

Deno

Ok, well there are a range of different filters.... we keep alot of Africans, we run Aqua One very big canisters on some of our tanks, and Eheim also...

Depends on how much you want to pay for filtration? I would definately run two canisters tho, more filtration and the bonus with that is.. if one needs something doing to it, you will always have the other one as backup... we have two huge canisters running on our big African set up in lounge, and they get rostered cleans.

There are cheaper range filters out there, Jebo etc, (of which we have owned and have parted with most)... Aqua One, have found they do a great job. Fluval, I don't think much of their filtration powerwise personally... and Eheim, ours crank it.

Well you can have good powerful filtration for your tank (not so much so that your fish are having difficulty swimming or going around like a whirlpool or hitting side of tank)... Some people have used a powerhead in the tank to bump up water flow a bit... we have put a powerhead in our mbuna setups and they just love the flow.. darting in and out of rock work... they thrive.

What species of Malawi are you thinking of having, might pay to do some searching and see what you really like in the way of fish.

FX5 or aqua one 2400.. Or 2 x jebo 819's or aqua one cf1200's.

I used one fluval 404 on a 540L tank reasonably stocked and it did the job but that was underfiltered and I did descent weekly water changes, I went to an FX5 and haven't looked back, I only clean it out every 2-3months and it filters so well :) If your lucky you can pick one up quite cheaply too.

Yeap we run the Aquis 2400's and they run wickedly.... huge flow too.. 8)

I still reckon the more filtration the better...

Let us know what you decide in the way of Africans, always neat hearing about others starting a new tank.

Yeah for sure the more the better.. However I reckon one FX5 or aquarius 2400 would be sufficient at least to start with :) More filtration can be added at a later date if needed..

Obviously if money is no object then 2 large filters would be wicked, africans don't really mind too much flow.

Can I ask why you don't want to go for the cheapest and most efficient filtration? :-?

There are lots of downsides to sumps, which is why people don't use them for every tank setup. For some of us, the downsides aren't really an issue, and it's an awesome solution.

I wont list my downsides here, so Deno can post up what he thinks first, but IMO I don't think they're the golden solution for most people on freshwater aquariums.

Other than noise [which can be reduced to almost nothing with a good design] I can't really see any downsides. For an over-stocked fresh water tank [like africans] I can't see why you'd want to go for anything else.

- Setup for somebody unexerienced isn't easy

- Extra plumbing

- Cuts to tank to do it properly

- Noise, which requires a lot of trickery with downpipe design to be as low as cannister filters

Yes you can sort them out but for most people it's too much trouble when a cannister will do a fine job.

Also requires somewhere for the other tank, the other tank should really be divided up so needs to be custom built or modified.

or just get a couple of externals, load them up, and install them.......

Running a sump is great if you've got the time to set it up, and the know how to do it right, but for your average person it's probably a bit too much stuffing around.

Why not... good sized canister or canisters with good water turn over cranks on a fully stocked african tank :)

Sure, but for the cost of one FX5 I could make a sump that would have the same volume of media as three of them. The flow won't decrease as the filter clogs up, and cleaning it is as simple as replacing a sheet of filter wool. Plus they're a lot easier to clean out, and have the advantage of getting the heaters out of the tank.

SpiderWeb I disagree about the complexity. The plumbing is hardly complicated (one pipe from the tank to the sump, and another going back to it), and silencing them can be as easy as a correctly sized drain and a piece of sponge in the overflow along with an enclosed stand with doors. The cuts to the tank only adds about $10 to the cost if you're getting it made new.

For a malawi tank which is likely to be heavily stocked, large quantities of food and good aeration needed a sump is an ideal solution IMO. I certainly wouldn't use anything else on a tank over 250L, and I detest cleaning the two canisters I have on smaller tanks.

However, I do admit they're not for everyone, but IMO on a tank like this you'd be foolish not to go for one without a very good reason.