new tank

Deno

If I take about 75L water from my existing community tank to start my new 450L tank, which will have cichlids, then run the filter for a while ( checking the parameters of course), will this be sufficient to cycle the tank?

Hi and welcome.

Merely transferring water is not cycling. Cycling refers to the process of establishing the colony of Nitrogen eating bacteria in and on the filter media.

What would cycle the filter faster is putting some media from your existing filter in it, then running it on the existing tank for a further week or so. Then transferring it.

Keep us posted :)

when i upgraded to a larger tank i moved 70 litres or so & the internal filter into the new tank. filled it up, waited until the following day & added fish. I left the internal filter running with the new canister for two days & that worked well, no losses at all.

Hey Deno glad to hear your getting into africans, where are you living?

Have you seen the photo's of my tank it may give you some idea of stocking?

As for buying fish off me I only have afra and jullie marlieri left I have stopped breeding fish and stopped growing them out because im off overseas for 3 months soon and as lovely as my wife is she wont run my whole fishroom breeding programs and look after my daughter/dogs etc :)

Hi Ryan. I'm in Wanganui. It could be a little while before I'm ready to stock the tank. At the moment its just a bare tank in the planning stage, so i have to try to source some rocks and stuff. Also a few $$ to get together for filters, lights, heaters etc, not to mention the fish. So much info and many good ideas here to choose from