Dosing Discus tank with Levamisole

kd123

On the discus forum there are two protocols for dosing with levamisole. Does anyone have any experience with these?

One protocol is dosing the tank with 1ml/7lts and leave in the tank for 3 days. The second is using 2mg/1lt and leave in for 24 hours ....

Hi again yes i have used levamisole but have found it only in the form of aviverm bird wormer and to get the ideal dose of 2ppm have used 8.5ml of aviverm per 100g i have left treatment in for 24 hours then as large water change as possible then repeated after a week.the fish will probly not be very interested in food during treatment but soon back to normal.

The aviverm is a stronger mix than that stated on the discus forum. I worked it out at 1ml/22l of tank water. This is how i did it: Do a big water change + gravel siphon first (removes young worms), add mix, wait 48 hours (on various sites it said from one to three days so i went for the middle) and the do another big water change. Wait two weeks (life cycle takes a couple of weeks) and repeat.

I have done this several times myself and i think many others have done it too with good results :)

I have used Aviverm on apisto's with excelent results. Same as above about 1ml to 20 - 25ltrs

Levamisole is supposed to be light sensitive so turn off lights and stop any charcoal filters.

Remember it doesnt kill the worm, it paralyzes them so the fish can pass them. The worms still have eggs inside them that can cause a new outbreak. As Sharn said you need to do a gravel syphon first and again after the huge water change you will be doing after the 24 - 48hr dosage time.