Goldfish with white stringy poo

Lesta3474

Hi There,

My girlfriend has 2 small goldfish (about 6-8cm) in her 40 litre tank. One comet and one shubunkin... (rex and henry btw) :D

Recently she noticed that the Henry has been pooing long white stringy poop... And she's worried thats its an internal bacterial infection... :(

Anyone has any clue?

With tried feeding them peas to clean out their digestive track but don think this is working.

They look fine and healthy so far.

regards,

Lester

What is she feeding them?

Although white stringy poo can be a sign on internal infection it can also be from a diet with too much protein.

Another cause can be poor water conditions. Those fish will need a much bigger tank and goldfish produce a LOT of waste. Comets are really best in a pond IMO.

Hi Caryl,

The goldfish are fed alternately on flakes, mini sinking sticks, freeze dried shrimp, and only recently, boiled peas.

I started noticing the white stringy poo when I fed them the shrimp for 2 days, but only Henry has white poo, and not Rex.

The white poo has been appearing for the past 3 days. The weird thing is, he'd poo the colour as his food, followed by white poo. But then on the 3rd day, it's been just white stringy poo.

Not entirely sure if I should put him on medicated food?

I don't think you can get medicated food here (unless you do it yourself).

Is he still pooing colour along with the white now? I htink the white is extra mucus due to an irritant so internal infection looks possible.

:( Poor henry... I'm not at home til tomorrow evening, so I'll check his poo then... hope he's okay...

I read up on some forums that I could dip his food in garlic extract to help treat the infection? If there aren't any medicated foods here, I might just have to for the extract.