I'm loosing all my whiptails!

northland chic

I have had my whiptails for years got them off Rob in Hamilton. After years of no deaths at all now they are dropping like flys. I have lost my bristlenoses and a couple of corys. At first I thought this was fungus related because I have a few kribs and had seen them pecking at others. Thought the kribs were making wounds and they were getting fungusy (think this is what happened to the bristlenoses trying to share the coconut with the kribs but now not so sure). I had noticed the fish werent themselves but put it down the mean kribs. A couple of days ago I had another couple of whips die and noticed they were really skinny. Tried feeding them up but the other fish are quite aggressive mainly my kribs and stripey barb things. Anyway looked at the last couple of whips just now to see yellowish round spots on them. I have no idea what they are! I know its not whitespot I have never seen anything like it. I havent bought fish for ages but the last thing I bought was some more stripey barbs and I have to say two of them weren't right one always hung in the bubbles and both were skinny (they're gone now). I have checked the ph and its acidic (its never been good but these fish have had that for years and never seemed to mind) and theres no ammonia. Its really making me want to give up as this year I actually vacuumed them out over summer a couple of times and I never normally get to do this for fear of running out of water. But yea the other fish seem alright but I have seen abit of scratching happen. Any help would be great I would hate to lose my last two whips.

Thanks in advance NC

The first thing i would be doing is a water change.Im surprised that they have lived this long.I do weekley water changes.I dont know about whiptails,so i cant till you what you can use for them.Im sure some body will come on soon and help.

I have done some water changes since I starting losing them but just doesnt seem to be helping. Im chuffed I have had them for so long, they even bred for me that was a few months ago now was wondering if they were breeding I just didnt know because they were always over the back and in caves in the log. I would love to be able to do weekly water changes but in summer water is about $250 a truck load which about half fills our water tank. I have had them for about 5 years now I think and I would say during that time their tank was always acidic (comes like that from the tap) so I think they just got used to it. The spots are about 1mm round I would think.

Maybe you could Google it?.A.nd find out how sensitive they are to medication.Tonic or salt and up the temps would be what i would use and I've used this with clown loaches and have had no problems.But i dont know about your fish and it may kill them.Have you thought about cutting back on your tanks so you can do regular water changer's i cant be of help was sure we had people on here who had them.