Finally.. Blue ram x long fin gold ram spawn..

ryanjury

Ooo pics would be good. Trip to bulls a little costly though with petrol the way it is, and I am going to be driving to Levin and back this week coming so trying to save as much as possible!

I would come out if you had a 100Wa heater to sell me though :wink: Fancy pants 50W stainless steel ones thermostat has crapped out on me :roll:

I saw some cockatoos in the LFS yesterday, they are cute wee things. Considering putting a pair in my community tank

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah cockatoo's are cool :) Hope yours spawn too for you guys soon Mekhaela..

Sorry no spare heaters need them all for my tanks that I bring inside while im away..

Seriously doubt the rams will spawn while im away well they'll spawn but with the swordtails, cories and others in the tank the babies will have stuff all chance of survival..

Cool cockatoo's in the shops :) What shop was that and how much were they? I wonder if they came from the same place as ours or if they're imported..

Yeah, mine spawned on the biggest piece of driftwood last time, so there was no chance of rescue. The next morning, it had been wiped clean (granted, they laid the eggs right next to where my big bristlenose sleeps) :roll:

The cockatoos were in the good pet store :wink: In with the discus for sale. I think I only glanced at price, maybe $20 to 24? They're are about half grown, so I guess more likely to be NZ bred than imported

What colours do yours have?

Seriously doubt the rams will spawn while im away well they'll spawn but with the swordtails, cories and others in the tank the babies will have stuff all chance of survival..

Very true Ryan :lol: Wasn't sure if they were going to be in their own tank or have tank mates :)

Yeah the other apisto pair are doing well too, the male is stunning.. :D Shy little blighters tho, as soon as they see my cellphone to take a pic well the tank suddenly looks empty :lol:

lol I got some pics mine aren't shy at all probably because they used to be in the community tank and are happy as still :)

The tank before I took all the other fish out..

DSC052871600x1200.jpg

Pair and the pot they laid in

DSC053521600x1200.jpg

Female

DSC053731600x1200.jpg

PAir again

DSC053811600x1200.jpg

Again

DSC053781600x1200.jpg

Crappy photo of female but you can see the fry..

DSC053841600x1200.jpg

I didn't know we had a good shop here? lol Animates is getting better though a new guy has taken over and the tanks look way better fish all healthy etc worth a look if you haven't been in for a while :)

The cockatoo's are wild x tripple red (not hybrids for any busy bodies they're the same fish) if the ones at wetpets are the same as the ones I have then I would recommend them the breeder breeds awesome fish and they are doing very well.

Thanks for the photos! Lovely apistos, with the bright yellow and blue. I LOVE the ones that have the bright red tails, but I've never seen them for sale anywhere, and probably couldn't afford them if I did see them haha.

Your right about the new guy at Animates, finally someone who knows about fish. Actually met him when I did a pet portrait for his partner, and had another good yack to him the other night at the winter sale. He also knows where the fish come from too, as compared to the "I don't know" when you used to ask where their fish came from, or whether they were nz bred or not.

Yeah these ones are cool :) They are a cross between the tripple red (red fin's) and wild caught, so there is every chance some of their offspring could be tripple red's as both of the parents would be tripple red carriers (in my very simple understanding of genetic's).

Yeah the new guy at animates is a good guy and knows what he's doing and is only happy to help out and actually treat fish and not sell them etc well worth a visit :)

• 2 weeks later...

lol well trying again the gold bred with a blue again today (has bred another time since this thread but was on the bottom of the tank) I had to watch them today and put rocks around where they were trying to bred to get them to lay on something I could remove which worked now they're in another tank with a filter air stone and meth blue fingers crossed :)

I got my fingers crossed for you as well. I been trying too with mine but no luck so far this time I am going to try my blue and gold pairs in the next few day just feeding them up a bit more so they nice and fat. :D