inline heaters

henry

as mentioned in my reply to 'hand in hand question', i've noticed inline heaters (that connect to external filters in or outflow tubes) beginning to appear on trademe.

i've yet to see these in local stores but have seen them on american retailers websites for around USD 25.00

they seem like a great idea.. remove clunky heater (and extra power cord) from tank, circulate water past heater, and two could be connected in series as backup..

anyones experiences with these or information about local availability or prices would be great :D

henry

I picked a 200W inline for $50 on special (old stock, no one wanted to buy it). It was marked down from about $120 I think.

It seems to work quite well. I've had it running for about 6 months now without any problems.

• 2 months later...
I picked a 200W inline for $50 on special (old stock, no one wanted to buy it). It was marked down from about $120 I think.

It seems to work quite well. I've had it running for about 6 months now without any problems.

My Hydor inline heater is now no longer operational. The element pad looks as though it has burnt out (brown patch near one of the terminals) for no apparent reason.

Tank temp got down to 18 degrees before I noticed, fish seem ok now though.

Won't be buying another one of these again, 9 months isn't really good enough.

I mentioned this to the lfs where I brought a replacement heater from and they said that they have a lot of complaints/faults with inline heaters.

How long have other people with inline heaters managed to get them to last for?

they also stopped bring them in because a few shops had problem with them, the first few lots that cam in really are good but after that they had more come back than they liked so they stopped selling them , that and the price was so high