heating issues advice needed

pcamore

Hi all

I have a Jebo r338 40 litre tank which has a light hood and trickle filter my problem is that my thermometer is showing 28.1 degrees celsius and then my heater turns on this is way to hot as my heater is a jebo 2010 100w and i have it set at 22 degrees celsius the heater warms the water upto about 29 degrees then turns off as soon as the water temp drops to 28.1 on it comes again i think the temp should be around 27 degrees

please advise

thanks

a 100watt heater is overkill for a 40 ltr tank. If the heater ever got stuck in the on position, I'd say you'll have a boiling tank.

Is the heater on a vertical position? If it isn't, try that.

But might pay to buy a 50watt heater

Are you saying the heater is set at 22 degrees because that's what the dial on the heater reads? If so, ignore the reading on the heater. A pile of bullcrap would describe them as being full of ****. Turn it down a bit and see where the temp actually ends up.

Are you saying the heater is set at 22 degrees because that's what the dial on the heater reads? If so, ignore the reading on the heater. A pile of bullcrap would describe them as being full of ****. Turn it down a bit and see where the temp actually ends up.

Dont listen to the marks on the heater. Some of mine are set @30c and the tanks @ 22c :roll:

a 100watt heater is overkill for a 40 ltr tank. If the heater ever got stuck in the on position, I'd say you'll have a boiling tank.

Over kill is better. If you get a cold snap the heater will able to handle the air temp drop.

I have a 1000w heater in a 270L and it wont cook my fish unless the thermo breaks

Over kill is better. If you get a cold snap the heater will able to handle the air temp drop.

I have a 1000w heater in a 270L and it wont cook my fish unless the thermo breaks

Not sure I agree with this, too large a heater can stress the fish by changing the temperature too fast, also it doesn't take much of a heater to maintain the temperature, I would rather my fish were a little cold for a few hours over night than cooked because my heater jammed on. Saying it wont cook the fish unless the thermo breaks, is just the problem, they do break! The ideal setup is to have two or more smaller heaters. That way if one jams on it wont cook the tank, and if one jams off the fish wont freeze.

Not sure I agree with this, too large a heater can stress the fish by changing the temperature too fast

That's only a problem if you have a thermostat that lets the temp fluctuate too much. A near instant 1° change isn't going to hurt them.

many thanks to all who replied.

i have dialed down the temp to the minimum 22c and the heater is now on the back of the tank whereas i had it on the right side opposite the temp gauge this seems to have solved things. first thing in the morning the temp is hovering around 24c then as the day wears on it comes up to 27.2c which i think is an ok temp for platties and tetras algae eaters

thanks again

Is the heater on a vertical position? If it isn't, try that.

Why? IIRC the instructions specifically state not to have them in a vertical position, the heat won't disperse as evenly, and it will rise up the heater and give the thermostat an inaccurate reading.