Algae eating fish in a Convict tank?

Lesta3474

Hi There,

I have a pair of Convict cichlids. No babies for the moment. They've attempted to breed 2 twice and have gotten pretty aggressive during these periods... They are in a planted tank, Java Fern, Java Moss and Water sprites (floating fern?). So far, they've not messed up the plants.

Problem is that the lighting is causing green algae to grow near the water surface and on the driftwood. Plants are fine though. Strong light is doing well especially for the Water Sprite. I also use Flourish Excel and the odd dose of Leafzone.

Is there a algae eating fish that I can get that can stand up against the aggressive convicts?

FYI: I have a couple of otocinclus but they are always hiding in between the rocks and caves as the convicts are very aggressive. Might have to sell or rehome them. (or get another tank if there is space!)

Thanks. :)

Kind regards,

Lester

How about Chinese algae eater or golden variety.

They are too aggressive for most community tanks but should cope with the convicts nicely.

BN's could work ok, depends if the cons see them as a threat. The younger are better for cleaning as they tend to hide out more as they get bigger.

Short answer; No.

Any bristlenose/plec type fish will be picked on until its dead. A chinese algae eater might be alright, but when they get bigger they don't eat much algae AFAIK.

Best idea would be to fix the cause of the algae.

Short answer; No.

Any bristlenose/plec type fish will be picked on until its dead. A chinese algae eater might be alright, but when they get bigger they don't eat much algae AFAIK.

Best idea would be to fix the cause of the algae.

Interesting I had 3 med sizes BN with a breeding pair of Cons, no issues at all. Depends on the fish I guess.

How about a couple of big apple snails?

Err... dunno if snails would work.. I actually had a snail problem in my tank but not anymore once i got the cons... They tore them apart...

Although they weren't that big.. about the size of a 10 cent coin...

I could even here them chewing on snail babies in the middle of the nite. :roll:

Will large snails destroy my plants?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Apple snails yum yum!! :lol: I have found the majority of our aggressive to semi aggressive cichlids have enjoyed an apple snail or two :o And not as long term tank mates either... :lol: Been there done that ages ago... with not such good results.. also Apple Snails would mow down Lesters plants... :-? Not a good look :lol:

Ack no! not my plants.. I had that Java Fern for a about a year.. and its had its ups and downs... (yes i didn have much experience with plants i almost killed a Java Fern which is unheard of) but now its growing so well.. :) It has sentimental value... hehe! I guess no large snails for me...

Should have mentioned that I have a surface skimmer attached to my FLUVAL 105 filter. I heard that surface skimmers actually increase oxygen in the water and release CO2 like how an airstone would? Is this true?

I guess this defeats the purpose of putting Flourish Excel?

Lester

I had a small group of Flying Fox (Epalzeoryhnchus kallopterus ? ) to control black beard(hate it ) algea in a comunity tank, They may eat green stuff too and would be able to handle convicts. They may eat eggs or fry though.