cost of marine

LoGaN

I put it too you, that it would cost less that $5k but over $3k.

A friend (Barney for those of you who know him) has a 3ft tank. Successful marine tank with live rock, soft corals and mushrooms. He uses 2x3ft fluros, 1x 150watt halide, backpack hangon skimmer, heater, ehiem caniser filter, asorted powerheads on a wavemaker.

Without a sump the tank does have a lot of visible equipment, but he is on a budget, and is good with his routine. He has a yellow tang, cleaner shrimp, clownfish (+ anemones), bi colour blenny + snails and small starfish etc.

He uses lots of water changes (20% every fortnight) and tops up about 1L of fresh/kalk every day or 2 from a cerial container on a shelf above the tank.

Shows it can be done. His tank is his pride and joy, and even though its small its still captivating and interesting to watch.

Pies

agreed pies, but i opted for the top end of the scale coz there are so many little costs that you just dont account for (usually) when setting up, eg: test kits, even those aren't cheap!

also depends on whether you go marine or reef :)

I don't dissagree, infact I do agree. But to help promote the hobbie for newbies/younger people/tight people it should be pointed out that it can be done cheaper. It may require slightly more time and energy on the keepers behalf, you don't have to go full blown SPS reef and can start small and upgrade over time.

The example I was giving above was supposed to be encouraging to people wanting to start. And I belive you can, but you will have to putup with increased maintenance and visible equipment and other inconvienances and disadvantages. HOWEVER if you want a tank to look as nice as some featured on the board (Steve, Alois, Adam, NickS etc) you will need to spend 10k+. Thats $10,000.00 plus, mucho denero. To put it in perspective Alois has spent half of that amount on his current skimmer alone...

Pies

To those that are giving realistic costings for marines THANK YOU.

As most of you will be aware we have just started a marine tank and we have not spent anything like the high end of the scale, but also we have a long way to go. We have a picturesque tank with some soft corals and no fish.(still to come). we also have enough equipment to run our tank without overloading our workload. Which ever way you go always go for a bigger tank than you think because marines are definately a disease.

Dont try to get a full set up yesterday but investigate, talk to other addicts, investigate, talk to other addicts and so on and so on. Look around, there are bargains to be had second hand, be it equipment or stock. There are some real helpers out there so listen to them and again take your time. Rome wasn't built in a day nor will your marine tank be.

We have to thank Nick. jetskisteve, chris, barry and pies for putting us on the right road, and for all their help.

Another thing to watch for is marine books. Make sure they are currentv as some of the older ones could mislead you.

Debby & Mitch

For my tank, so far, for a FOWLR without a sump, not including the price of the tank I'm up around $1350 for hardware and I don't think there's anything major left that I absolutely need. That's skimmer, liverock(For this we'll call it hardware), a couple powerheads, test kits and a few light tubes. Of course there's heaps more you can spend, that would be nice but I think I've got the minimum now. So, I'd say $1500ish for a 4 ft 220 L FOWLR If you already have the tank and stand. Maybe $3K if you have to include the price of the stand new or have a sump along with all the expensive luxury bits like...I dunno, a tunze osmoregulator.

IRA - does that factor in the price of that berlin skimmer too? :o)

Its the 'extra essentals' that start to cost. $500.00+ RODI anyone? Etc et al.

Ohhh and lets not forget the fish... $200.00 yellow tang anyone? $165.00 Hawkfish? or for the even more elite... purple tangs and black tangs... ouch.

As an example, here's my costings:

Bought a 4 foot tank, sump, deltec skimmer, fluoro lights, heater, eheim 1060 return pump, about 40kg live rock with various soft corals and about 8 fish/3 shrimps for $1,400 (bought 2nd hand) I estimate this new to be around $4,500. I also aquired a 3 foot tank free which will become my refugium (or new sump, havent decided which yet). I have also bought/budgeted for the following (mostly 2nd hand) stuff too:

Hallides $400

Temp controller $200

Chiller $850

Closed Loop $270

More Rock $280

Calc Reactor $600

CO2 System $300

Dosing pump $200

Corals $400

Test kits $100

That totals $5,000 exactly. Ok, so I get a couple of bucks back when I sell the fluoro's but that goes towards a refractometer - a "luxury" item perhaps but something I'd like. Not all the above are needed of course (eg: chiller) but most items I define as "highly necessary", eg: if we have a hot summer, temperature controller plus chiller is going to come in real handy :)

I refuse to list my costs based on the fact that if I actually saw, in back and white, how much I have actually spent, I suspect I would at first cry, out loud and a lot and then spontaniously explode.

$1.5k rock

$2k coral

$1k fish

$1.5k Skimmer

$1k Halides

$500 T5s

$500 RODI

$1k tank and stand

$1.5k Tunze Streams

$1k Return pumps and closed loops

Lets stop right there.

Ah, RO/DI, forgot most people need that...For the moment that's on my don't need list because I'm on tank water. And the Berlin...Well...No doesn't include that, but it was only $120 and that included a pump that would have cost me near that anyway that I still plan to use eventually for a sump or closed loop.

Planning on finally getting some fish about beginning of July since I'm going to christchurch, about time!:)

ira, why would you not need RODI for tank water??

I am on tank water and could not do without DI. The organics load would be very high with all the decaying matter, dead birds, bacteria etc.

Do some tests and tell me how high your phostphates are in your tank water.