RED SEA MAX SKIMMER

perren

hi all what should the water level be at in the back chamber of the red sea max so that the skimmer works at its best. At the moment with the skimmer on the micro bubbles inside the skimmer brake about 10 ml below the collection cup this does allow a dry looking foam to rise into the cup does this sound right ?

thanks perren

Hi perren,

Yep, that is about as good as it gets. There isn't much you can do to alter the water / bubble level except open the water intake grill wide open (at which point it stops surface skimming properly), open the air completely, and restrict the passage of water past the heater, but if you do that you run a real risk of either cavitating the circulation pumps or oveflowing the tank or the collection cups when you feed. The max skimmer is, in a word, poo. I have fiddled endlessly with it, but I think there is a fundamental design flaw between the water intake size and shape, the skimmer height, and the pump air intake calibration. The whole thing needs to sit about 15mm lower in its chamber, and the overflow needs to have an open top instead of a cable shroud. A lot of people install Deltec MC500s with good results.

get rid of it, Order either a tunze 9002 or deltec mc500, dont waste your time with the stock one

Hmmm... I have a 9002 in the cupboard under the sink. It was a Nano Reefpack 200, but I have since flogged the filter and magnet holder for my Bichir tank, and it has a couple of bits of plastic welded to the side of it and threaded to fit the magnet holder to, so I don't know if it would fit into the RSM with these on.

I could never tune the damn thing, drove me nuts and now have a Deltec MCE 300.