Temperature Fluctuations

Floater

I live in a cold Dunedin flat. The temperature of my tank seems to be fluctuating between 26 degrees and 24.5 (day/night, and also depending on whether or not we have the fire going) is this ok for neons? As this was the first fish I was planning on getting for my tank. Should I invest in another heater for the other side of the tank? Or would they be ok? I've already put polystyrene on the sides, back and bottom of the tank to help insulate it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

It all depends upon the size and quality of the heater, the surface area relative to the volume of the tank, and ambient heat and humity levels. Cheaper heaters are much slower to react, smaller heaters take longer to 'catch' and counter a drop, oversize ones overcompensate. It gets COLD in Dunedin, so any shortcomings are exposed pretty quickly.

That sort of fluctuation isn't a problem, and it's a limitation of a heater that has the thermostat in the same tube.

Dont worry about it, even in the tropics the water temp of a small stream or pond will vary a few degrees between day and night. It's a gradual change, and as long as it doesn't go outside the fishes temp range they can handle it.

Ian

What size/shape is the tank and what wattage is the heater?

We haven't got to the really cold part of winter yet, so keep an eye on temp fluctuations to see if they become more extreme. In that case you might need a second heater for the other end of the tank.

Insulating the tank with polystyrene is a good idea. I am going to add bubble wrap to the back of my tank, because it is near a poorly insulated outside wall. But I live in Auckland where the outside temperature never gets too cold so I don't have to worry about it too much.

Good luck with keeping the fish and yourself warm in Dunedin!

I've got a 100watt heater. The tank is 60x30x30, approx 50 liters of water. The heater is set to 28 degrees and seems to maintain it at 25 degrees.

A tank that size can be harder to keep warm than a larger tank as there is less water mass to hold the temperature. I would definitely have a go at insulating the tank on the back and sides.

Heaters are notorious for not showing an accurate temperature. If your thermometer says your tank is steady at 25 degrees, then you can rely pretty well on that.

A lot of fish can adapt well to a temperature outside their optimum temperature as long as it's reasonably steady. If there are wild temp fluctuations that's when you really end up with problems. In saying that I have neons in with my loaches - the loaches like warmer temps than neons. Unfortunately the neons have never thrived and often suffer from fungal infections. I think this is due to the water being too warm. :( Poor fishies.