Pipefish in fuge??

CatBrat

Hey all,

I am planning on adding a 3' fuge (will be around 90x45x45cm) into my system in the near future and was wondering whether it would be possible to keep a couple of Pipefish (if i can get them), or even a couple of seahorses in there. Do you think that they would be able to sustain themselves on the pod population? Of course I can supplement their feeding with frozens if they would take them.

The other idea I had was to get one of the BRINE SHRIMP HATCH'NFEEDER that they sell on trademe, and just have it running into the fuge all the time. If I was to do this does anyone have any ideas of how you could add some nutritional value to the Brine Shrimp before they get eaten?

Anyway any feedback/ideas would be great!!

Cheers, Jake.

Hi Jake

The brineshrimp are at their nutritional best just after they hatch, if they are more than 24hrs old, they loose a great percent of their nutritional value.

We have one in our FW killie fry tank, and the cheeky little beggars now know to hang around the outlet where the shrimp swim out to get a feed.

I don't know much about seahorses, but BBS are pretty damn small for a full grown seahorse to be chasing after all day to get a belly full?

I will ask Kerry at the National Aquarium what they feed their grown ups, I know they feed their littlies on BBS.

Hey zev,

Good point about the size of the BBS. I would be keeping the Kuda 'horsies if I was to get them, so they are going to be smaller than the NZ Potbellies. But even so would take a fair few to full the belly of an adult huh :o

How well do the hatch'n'feeders work? Seem to be a good idea!!

No need to hatch brine shrimp all the time as the seahorses will take frozen foods.

The adults will take the small brine and if you turn the pumps off they will be able to get them easier.

No sure how the hatch'n'feeders will work in saltwater tank as you dont want any of the brine water getting into your tank as it it huge in nitrates.

If you put fish in a refugium, it ceases to be one.

A refugium is just that, a refuge from predators so pods, shrimp, worms , algae etc etc can breed, multiply and add goodies to your whole system.

Put pipefish or any other fish in it and it becomes just another sump with fish in it.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS. You wont get the benefits of a refugium otherwise.

Yes i understand that but I will still get the benefits of the macro algae feeding on the excess nutrients from the aquarium water will I not Puttputt?? Also the added water volume and the benefits which go along with this? I think my setup would be better/more stable with this than with out it. Doesn't make a difference to me weather the pod population in the main tank rises or not, just figured that the seahorses would be happy in a nice quiet tank free from competition.

I guess I just called it the wrong thing.

Kerry says that they feed their adults on live Mysis, but they can be trained to eat frozen Mysis and adult brine shrimp.

The Hatch N feeder seems to be going well, definiatly better than the old jar and airstone and syphon hassle, just tip some cysts in and forget about it!

You'll be best to feed frozen mysis to the seahorses, because though the seahorses will eat brine shrimp they are not a complete food for them...they are alright as a snack.... but the seahorses will eventually lose condition. I feed mine live mysid shrimp which he absolutely loves! :D

If you are serious about seahorses try looking at this website: www.seahorse.org

good luck! :lol: