Fish stocking suggestions

Foxjxa

I vote a!

(justification: small fishes are boring,since they dont tend to change, its time to have a monster)

and maybe some quality tigers!

Tigers, as in borneo tigers, as in datnoids? Haha, I think my tank would be too small for one of them.... there's one at my LFS that I'm crushing on, I'm always checking their tanks for dead fish so they can feed one to him. But no, no tigers for me...yet.... :D

Tigers, as in borneo tigers, as in datnoids? Haha, I think my tank would be too small for one of them.... there's one at my LFS that I'm crushing on, I'm always checking their tanks for dead fish so they can feed one to him. But no, no tigers for me...yet.... :D

i agree that they are aggressive fish, but i fail to think ur tank is too small, its after all 220 litres. 1. they take years to be fully grown,2. even if they are fully grown, u are lucky to see them exceed 35cm. ur 91cm tank is sufficient. u dont need a pond to have them.

just to express something irrelevant:

samething can be said about asian aros, people often say one needs a 2 metre tank to have them, sometimes more. but the truth is in asia, it is a common practice, and commonly considered that a 1.2 meter tank is sufficient(through experience). and they seem to be happy, or at least no significantly less happy than if they are put in a much larger tank, so i dont know what is the theoritical basis for people to claim good size tanks like urs is "too small"(in ur case datnoids). if there is none, such claims would be arbitrary.

i agree that they are aggressive fish, but i fail to think ur tank is too small, its after all 220 litres. 1. they take years to be fully grown,2. even if they are fully grown, u are lucky to see them exceed 35cm. ur 91cm tank is sufficient. u dont need a pond to have them.

Ahh, you're going to make me want to change my mind, AGAIN! :lol: It's so tempting... but I think I'll wait. When I eventually get some, I'll want to get a pair and set them up in a HUGE tank with some other big fish for company.

A nice project for the future, I think. 8)

*adds to wishlist*

monster fish do not have to be big , Ctenopoma, Patadon butterfly ,

some interesting little monsters buck tooth tetra , a school could give a piranha a run for its money , there is many more , smaller spiney eel , banded, zebra, just a few .. :)

Well after 'umming', 'ahhing', debating with my flatmates and trying to rearrange my tank with my existing fish - I've decided to go with the bichir. 8)

Yay, now I just need to get my hands on some dark substrate, a nice piece of driftwood and some largish rocks. Time to start renovating!

Snookie, I just re-read your comment about bucktoothed tetra and googled them - OMG! Those will definately be my 'killer' fish of the future. 8)

Also, could anyone recommend a good algae-eater/bottom feeder to go with the bichir apart from your everyday BN?

Well I'm part-way through my tank renovation, at the moment it's looking pretty sparse plant-wise, but I'm waiting on some more ambulia and hoping mine will continue to grow in the meantime.

The substrate is now builder's sand, and I finally added (what I hope will be) the last of the sand this morning, so it's still a bit dusty/sandy. The theme also appears to be pots.... as I couldn't find any cheap/free flat rocks that I could build hiding places out of, I decided to buy some pots, smash them up and sand down all the edges.

Anyway, here's what the tank is looking like at the moment:

rksqpe.jpg

With flash.

15q6plt.jpg

Without flash.

Also, on my journey around Palmy today, when I was looking for more ambulia (which no one had, btw), I started asking questions about a certain fish I've had my eye on... and ended up walking out of the shop with my latest addition. (Who was VERY hard to photograph!) I apologize about the poor quality, the link further on gives a more accurate idea of what he looks like.

28wmlpi.jpg

Meet Mr Invisible! Who seems to believe he really is invisible when he sits behind the heater.

Mr Invisible is a Ctenopoma acutirostre, or Spotted Climbing Perch. His personality is what originally caught my eye at the LFS, and I've been 'crushing' on him for a few weeks now - so it's about time I took him home!

Still waiting on the Albino Sen though. :(