Sealing leak underwater

Fmxmatt

So in filling my new tank last night, I discovered a tiny leak between the main display and the overflow. This means that when the tank is full, it will forever slowly fill the overflow, and will continue to fill the sump. Not a problem if the power is on, but if it shuts off, I'd give it about an hour before I end up with a wet floor (sump overflow)

Spoke to Tim of Insideoceans last night who said to try aquakneed/bluetack/gum on the area of the leak, drain the overflow (if it can stop the leak from the tank side) dry & glue on the overflow end.

Applied some Aquakneed it this morning, but I'm not sure its going to bond very well to the silicon. I wont know til I get home tonight and its dried, but in the mean time, is anyone aware of a product that may work better for sealing the leak so I can drain the overflow?

Figure I'd ask to see if I had any other options before I have to empty the tank (got approx 420 litres in it at the mo, 520 litre capacity in display). Luckily its just DI water and isn't mixed with salt yet! :)

yep, I know Tims been a big help, just pulling his leg after all the praise.

I remember SteveA i think giving me an blast about thanking people for supplying equipment that worked as it should, and replacing it if it didn't, asking me why I was thanking people for doing exactly what they should, and are paid to do.

Bit like over praising a tank manufacturer because his tanks dont leak

:wink::wink:

too late now, but i had the exact same thing with my tank matt small leak at the base of the overflow. My tank was full of livestock so what we had to do was half drain the tank, remove part of the liverock and sand surrounding the overflow (= PITA). Drained the overflow and then used some silicone i bought from tim to do an inside patch job. My overflow is so tiny that it was a mission to get my arm down there (lucky for my girly arms). Anyway that worked and its all fine now

The quick fixes sounded like a good idea, but now that I think about it, for the extra 3 - 4 hours it'll take to refill the tank, its certainly worth having drained it and patch up the hole, rather than try a quick fix and spend the next 6 months wondering whether or not it'll start leaking again :)