Ancistrus fry dying

Simian

I have had about 60 or more BN fry in a 3' tank with a bunch of mature (2 males and 5 females)and assorted juvi BN, the adults are spawning nicely and all was going great.

I am doing a 10-20% water change daily and am being meticulous about the water (ehiem 2215 canister filter +a shark internal filter).

PH 6.5

Nitrates and nitrites all 0

ammonia 0

The adults have just spawned again so the water must be ok?

Approx day 30

I am losing about 10 fry a day atm, not just the runts but even some of the bigger fry of the batch.

Am feeding them Zucchini and a few catfish chips, Zucchini is well washed.

Any chance they may be getting the bash from some of the adults?

This is getting frustrating as they were going so well!

How many fry do others lose? is it natural attrition? There were over 100 from this batch but I shifted about 40 to a "green" tank, there seem to be a few losses from that tank but nothing like the losses in my 3' breeding tank.

how long are you leaving the food in?

food will go off so change it every day!!

i find jbl plecochips the best for for bn ,

i keep my babys in with mum and dad and they grow ok so make sure you feed them lots

I put fresh Zuchini in twice per day and remove the old stuff at the same time, so I dont think its lack of food.

At Blue and Kims suggestion I have split them up into 3 floating ice cream containers so I can monitor them closer and minimise the chance of Bacteria spreading scavanging etc.

Dam I'd wish Id thought of floating containers earlier

:roll:

I have 40 floating in my main BN tank ATM and have separated my dominant male and his new batch of eggs to a completely different tank as a caution.

Fingers crossed

Lost all but 3, which I have moved to a floating container in my Cichlid tank, they seem to be doing fine

I have 3 batches of eggs atm so will try a little experimentation with these ones, maybe its a cursed tank? Bacterial bloom or ninja guppies?

Who knows, onwards and upwards :D

You could try my secret magic recipe for breeding plecs - chuck the adults and fry into a planted community tank and watch them go for it. I suspect most catfish fry do well on a diet of random munge from under logs etc.

Warning: This may make you unpopular with people who think such matters should be taken more seriously. :wink: