Clowns living up to their name

Afrikan

I noticed some odd behaviour going on in the Fronny tank early this evening.. I have 3 reasonable sized clowns in there and two in particular decided to tell the third one to sod off... which is highly unusual due to the fact they are always side by side in their little group. Sadly I missed out on taping most of the behaviour on the digital camera, but I caught the tail end of it... It wouldn't be classed as usual or normal behaviour in our tank anyway... :lol: Especially with the third party told to rack off :lol:

Anyway here it is.

th_P1050481.jpg

its almost as if they are fighting but never do any damage maybe just a dominance thing?

Bingo. Its funny with my group of them, there is one that is a bit bigger than all of them and he's obviously at the head of the pecking order, but there are always battles going on to see who is second!

It was amazing to watch, my clowns have never shown a dominance thing (well not up until now), and the group has never been split up until now, they have always lived harmoniously in their little group of 3. It's a pain in the butt I wasn't able to get it all on footage, as before I was able to grab the cam, they were spiralling around in the water of which is a normal thing for alot of loaches, however the two were entwined almost rubbing bodies together and shimmering constantly in between.

As of this morning, the biggest clownloach out of the group is still nigel nomates...

That's really excellent footage showing lots of examples of dominance behaviour. You can see them strutting where they stiffen up their fins and look like they're kind of standing on tiptoes, you can see one of them greying out, they line up alongside each other and have a shoving match, and they bare their 'teeth' at each other as well as doing the darting movements towards each other.

Really classic clown loach behaviour. This would be excellent footage to use to demonstrate what we mean when trying to describe this to someone who is new to loaches and wondering what is normal behaviour for them.

But yeah it does seem funny that they would live in harmony for so long then suddenly get all tetchy with each other. It will be interesting to see of they resolve their differences and go back to living happily together,or if this is a permanent change in their relationship.

A real clown loach soap opera!

:lol: very much so whetu.. :D As of now, the pair are side by side travelling everywhere together... where one goes the other follows, however, still the larger clown loach is not allowed to join them... maybe the old twos company, threes a crowd thing :lol: