Dwarf senegal bichir?

Foxjxa

I'm genuinely interested in purchasing this supposed 'dwarf bichir', but as I've never had any type of bichir before and I've never heard of dwarf ones, I'm wondering if the fish is just stunted or something.

So first off: Is it possible to have dwarf senegal bichirs that reach a max length of 8cm?

Secondly: Would it really be possible to put it in a community tank like the seller suggests?

Thirdly: Are there any special requirements bichirs need that I wouldn't be able to find via google?

I'd really like some help on this, as I said, it will be my first time buying a bichir if I go for it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 950792.htm

It's possible it's a dwarf, fish have genetic defects just like humans. Probably more likely it's just not full grown yet or it's stunted.

Have you ever SEEN the mouths on them? They go back about half the length of their head! I think mine's mouth, and he's only a little guy, is bigger than my 9" long severums mouths! So...smaller tetras could very easily be lunch. Bigger stuff should be ok.

Well I've left a question asking how old it is, (btw, how long till a bichir reaches full growth anyway?).

Hmm ... tetra's or bichir, tetra's or bichir? :P This will take some thinking.

That's like asking, "ugly chick, or hot chick? This will take some thinking." No it won't, you idiot! :lol:

That's like asking, "ugly chick, or hot chick? This will take some thinking." No it won't, you idiot! :lol:

LOL! I guess you're right, but I'm not sure how happy a bichir would be in my tank. (220L, 915Lx38mmWx500Hmm)

I paid $45 for mine, and it was a bit smaller.

They will attempt to eat ANYTHING they think they can get in their mouth, and nice long dangly tails will do if the whole fish won't fit.

Our little piggy can swallow guppies that are the same width as her head, as Ira said, their jaws can open amazingly wide, and the adage 'eyes are bigger than her belly' does not apply to these wee beasties!

Lots of good info here:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... hp?t=65770