New Tank - Advise plz

Wazza

Right here we go! I am looking at buying a second hand marine tank, 8ft 1900L, with all the equipment, (tank is running at the moment and has been for years).

Once I get it home, does a saltwater tank cycle the same way as a freshwater tank?

With water changes, how much and how often is recommended?

Apart from the extra lights does live rock need any other special care?

Any major pitfalls that are different from freshwater that I should be aware of?

The reason for my questions is that as you can tell I have not had any experience with saltwater so I need to learn and I am thinking about turning it in to a fresh water tank. So your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

(May need scuba gear to clean the sucker!)

Wish pies was in the country as i hate typing!!!!!!!!!!!!

O.K. If & when you move the tank keep the rock damp with newspaper & you wont need to cycle. if the setup has been running that long can we assume it has bioballs or other nasties in the sump? if so dump them, a sump is only good for equipment & more water :D

if it hasnt got one already get a decent skimmer this is the most important piece of equip.

The other thing you will need is decent topoff water as that sucker will evap around 10L a day & tap water will feed any algae you dont want.

if you want any more advice PM me or Nicks & we can have a chat.

good luck.

We need more info!!!

Is it a Reef, fish only or mixed.

What are the occupants

What equipment come with the tank.i.e. lighting, skimmers, filters, reactors, pumps etc etc etc

If you want to keep it marine and it is a fully set-up system it will not need cycling as a freshwater system does. It might take a few days to settle in but;

Take as much water as possible and have plenty of NSW of premixed wter available to fill the tank.

Donot let the live rock dry out.

Forget any sand unless you want to clean it in salt water before reusing it.

Regular water changes at 5-10 per month are good with NSWor premixes.

Live rock is live rock. with light it will develop into a base foundation for your reef and given enough light wll become encrusted with algae'e worms and other life and will act as a biological filter as such in the dark it will just be plain old wet rock but will still act as a biological filter as such.

I don't qite understand this part of your question :-?

and I am thinking about turning it in to a fresh water tank.

You cannot turn a marine tank into a freshwater tank

This is a big tank to start out with and unless it comes with all the equipment it will be expensive to upgrade

Give us as much info as you can and we can point you in the right direction

Nicks

im picking its a fish tank if im guessing the tank is in morrinsville which i think it is.as for a skimmer pfft whatever they`re just another expense.look after the batfish that tank should come with he`s had them for a long time.

Thanks guys, yes it was the tank in Morrinsville, however on my way out there on Friday morning I phoned for directions and he told me the tank was sold the night before. I wish I could got there Thursday. So I am still looking.

why the need for a skimmer when the tank is already cycled and has been running for ages.Wether your new or old to the game as far as im concerned a cycled and succesful tank is a cycled and successful tank and therefore a skimmer is another expense

My skimmer smells worse than your skimmer.

Wether your new or old to the game as far as im concerned a cycled and succesful tank is a cycled and successful tank and therefore a skimmer is another expense

Next to primary biological filtration, foam fractionating, better known as protein skimming, is the next most important aspect of any healthy marine system.

Wow, pretty powerful statement, huh? Although there are systems that claim to be "skimmer-free", such as Dr. Jaubert's Live Sand Plenum System, for most of us DOC's (dissolved organic compounds), phenol oils, and other yellowing agents are a nuisance that only active protein skimming can eliminate. Before we jump into the subject matter any deeper, let's discuss how these devices work.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/protei ... 052200.htm

A good read to explain things no doubt more correctly and scientifficly than I could.

Bottom line - I wouldn't use a skimmer if I didn't have too, but I belive I do need one, so I run one. Don't think there are many, if any others about the dissagree. (There are the MUD and algae systems, which I belive do work, but are best left to the more advanced keepers out there).

Piemania