Sand from the beach?

Johannes Visser

Will soon be setting up a 8Foot for some Tanganyikans and want to use sand from the beach will it be okay? :o

We will be using lime stone rock and barnacle shells for cover want it to look like the pic in the link any thoughts suggestions :wink:

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aq ... than1.html

Cyphotilapia frontosa x17

Julidochromis marlieri x5

Leloupi x8

Ive got Sand here from sumer in my axolotl tank,its really fine stuff so when a Axy swims over it it moves around heaps,but it settles quite fast aswel.

Where are the Pulcher or Brichardi? :o

Great to hear you are using sand from the beach!

I don't have any yet but would like to get 5x Neolamprologus "daffodil"

I would really like to setup a tank with Lelupi,Julidochromis marlieri or transcriptus and daffodils,but the parents wont allow it unless i get rid of some of my other tanks

I know the feeling :( We have just rearranged our fish room yet again to get this new 8 foot in and some tanks and fish had to go :cry: but We thrilled :bounce: At least the tangs can go in together and grow up together. :hail:

What size tank would you reccomend for 2 of these species?

Lelupi

Julidochromis marlieri or transcriptus

Daffodils

Not to sure We have only recently got our tangs and they are all still small, but I think a 4foot should be okay, but as always the bigger the better :wink:

Lelupi & Julidochromis marlieri or transcriptus & Daffodils :roll:

Lelupi & Daffodils too much yellow :D

Sand from the beach is fine, juss rise it off under the hose till clear, and make sure there is no seaweed in it too.

Watch out when yur Fron's get bigger, they will kill off those smaller ones.

Good luck and post sum pix wen ya can! :D

Thanks Mystic hope fully I can move them out before they start killing each other ! :cry:

Will be off to the beach to get some sand and to the LPS for some backing paper. Waiting for the shells to arrive and then it will be full stream a-head with getting the tank ready. :wink:

Will post pic when they have settled in ! Thanks for the info :bow:

Try sand from different beaches. Some of them are a lot finer than others, also anywhere around Auck. there will be all sorts of foreign objects and contaminants. Maybe go somewhere like Leigh , or Orewa

Try sand from different beaches. Some of them are a lot finer than others, also anywhere around Auck. there will be all sorts of foreign objects and contaminants. Maybe go somewhere like Leigh , or Orewa

Was thinking about Orewa ? Will have to set a date to go up there ! Thanks for the info!

Illegal.. especially Goat Island!!!! Saw a saltey get made to tip out WATER he collected at Goat Island because it was below the high tide line and therefore protected! Just something to keep in mind

i used to use sand from a beach in one of my old malawi tank it was fine just make sure you wash it will

tank should look cool ! i set up my fron tank with coral sand tho

Okay how much difference between sand from the beach and coral sand :roll:

Other than Texture and the $$$ ? :o

We were also looking at putting in 6 small clown loaches to help keep clean and for a bit of color :D , We know these do well in Malawi tanks :roll: !

Will they be okay in with the tangs? :o Any thoughts !

Cyphotilapia frontosa x17 2cm

Julidochromis marlieri x5 4cm

Leloupi x8 4cm

Neolamprologus "daffodil" x 5 (don't have any yet but would like to get)

I am hoping tp get some juvie Fronts in a couple of months,(long time to hold my breath!), I am wary of having anything to stroppy with them, they will be the main focus afterall. I see you are having Leloupi with yours .Will the pretty little yellow monsters be calm enough for the fronts? Also how long will you grow them out on their own , I will have to do the same. I have a spare 3ft and filter waiting.

The fronts will eventually grow big enough to eat the jullies and lelupi but it will take ages, I would suspect the lelupi may give them a hard time when I had them they were nasty, however it will be an 8ft tank so I doubt they would cause any serious problems :)

Clowns should be sweet as long as they grow fast enough to not become front food in the future but I am assuming your going to review the tank stocking as the fish grow etc as that is what always happens :)