Keeping leopardfish outdoors?

Dixon1990

I just found this:

http://watershed3.tripod.com/leopards.html

This active, little livebearer was the first fish that I kept other than goldfish. In 1954, a friend and I caught a few specimens from a pond in the grounds of the local Doctor's residence, in Kent Town. Along with the goldfish and the aquatic Cassula species that I grew in an old concrete pond, Leopardfish began my adventure in aquaculture. They were raised in a well-planted, old, glass, battery-case and thrived - outdoors. The water reached daily temperatures over 35oC in the summer and dropped appreciably at night. The winter minimum temperature was near 4oC. A few fish always survived winter and numbers grew quickly each summer.

Do you think this would be possible in CHCH?

If they are under cover (eg eaves, evergreen tree, cover over container etc) some may survive.

I know one of our club members had them live outside over winter in Blenheim (temp down to -4C or so) but they were well sheltered under an overhang.

• 2 months later...

sounds like caryl is giving the top of the south a good rap for breeding fish outside :lol:

down here we can only breed goldfish,paradise fish and minnows

would like to get leopard fish down here, the lfs only sell boys

we did see some albino wcmm down here !! :bounce:

• 1 month later...