Raising Cardinal Tetra Fry

Dixon1990

Do i need to do anyhting to it to 'prepare it' for the tank?

I boiled mine in a pot then let it cool and placed it in the tank. This way it will sink straight away. Use the boiled water of course too cos it will have a nice low pH, lower the hardness (if you have any), and will give that beautiful dusky dark blackwater look to the tank :)

• 2 months later...

Hey, just wondering how the breeding ended up going. I gave it a try for the last 3 weeks (doing some good quantity of water changes etc with rain water) and no good so wondering if anyone else has had any luck....

I think my flaw was in the conditioning (or lack of) of the fish to begin with

It didnt go :( yet :)

I found some more platy fry and a betta young that had to go in the tank i was going to use and some of my cardinals died :-?

Going to give it a go when all my big tanks are sorted and Have more money in my pocket

Sorry to hear that Dixon :(

I think a big thing people miss when reading the article is the discussion of the water itself. It's more than just pH. He also measures conductivity, and gets the water precise to conditions. I'd mix RO water with either rain or tap water until the correct conductivity is desired (you can buy conductivity/pH meters off tardme).

For conditioning I'd be feeding the females microworms, BBS, and decap BBS as often as possible. Plankton worked well for my Danios too (has a crazy protein percentage). If you get them to breed, you want TONNES not just a few, so get as many fat ladies as you can :)

SpidersWeb

thought I'll highjack this thread incase I can get some good advice too :-)

I think you are 100% correct in teh prep side. I've just been using rainw ater hoping that teh conductivity of that alone is enough for them to breed. I've been feeding them frozen brine shrimps, frozen blood worms and some discus tucker (prettyy much any high quality frozen food I can get).

I think the flaw has been in both the food and the water which is what you pointed out.

I'll need to investigate the cost of the conductivity meters, I remember seeing one from australia which did ph, consuctivity / hardness and a range of other things but no price (and ofcourse I am cheap so prob cant afford it in teh first place). If anyone near buy have one I can borrow for up to a week, I'll be dead keen to try again once my guys (girls)have "plumped" back up.

Other issue around water is that i dont have access to RO water, does anyoen know a local place which sells good RO water that I can use for this?

I have the cardinals currently floating in a container in my main tank at the moment for conditioning.... that way I dont have to chase them around a 350L tank when i want to capture them for breeding....

With regards to food, do you think the frozen stuff is enough or I really need live food?

cheers

I wouldn't worry about using RO water unless the conductivity of your rainwater is high.

Generally it should be very low but collection factors can make all the difference.

I collected rain water off a metal roof and was surprised to find that the conductivity was pretty close to tap water.

If you do choose to use RO water then I would just use that, wouldn't worry about mixing it with other water.

When Bryan was breeding the cardinals he used to set up a number of tanks - he wasn't always successful with the pairs he put in. He also talked about other factors such as moonlight in the evening (although this seemed to apply more to the rummynose).

HTH

• 3 weeks later...