Betta jarring/housing

Lately I've been thinking about how I'm going to house my baby bettas (if I ever get some that is :roll: ). Anyway they'll have to go float in tanks as I don't have a heated room (not yet anyway :wink: ) and I was wondering how all you guys house yours I know most of you'll have heated rooms but is there a design that you've tried or seen that looked like it would work well. If anyone has a link to making some good ones.(I've been looking for ages). I really want a design that will be easy to clean and you can see the fish easily and a bit of water flow.

Heres what I have for my males - this tank can fit 50 bottles in it at a pinch.

for cleaning I change bottles once a week or fortnight and sterilize dirty bottles and stones.

The top tank of the three is my adult females, the other two are growout tanks.

I also run up to another 10 tanks ranging from 20 litres - 100 litres.

Sorry about the pics quality, as I said in another post I had been hit by algae outbreaks.

fulltank-1.jpg

3tanks-2.jpg

The bottles are great ideas. The only problem is they may take up to much room in the tanks.What do you think would be the smallest amount of water if I do water changes every 1-2 days?

I don't know - a lot of people seem to keep them in the small plastic containers seen on tm with fighters in them. I have also seen them floated in the top of tanks but apparently the fighters will jump easily out of them.

The biggest thing about breeding these is you don't know how many you will get. My latest spawn has 2, the previous over 50, the next 13 and the one before a couple of hundred. If you only get a few space won't be an issue, if you get a lot you're going to need a lot of tanks.

I've just come from turning my tank lights off and I found that a couple of my 8 week old fighters had been fighting judging by the state of their fins. Even though they have been raised together this group is obviously not going to be able to stay together and so I have had to seperate 4 males off tonight.

they range in size from 2.5cm - 2cm.

I was thinking about using those clear containers that you get your colslaw and all in at the supermarket if I could get some (I hope you know what I mean). They come in 3 different sizes. But I reallly want to find a design that will make it easy to clean. I think that the spawn will be a smaller one as when they do eventually spawn it'll be my first time raising fry.

I think those containers are the ones I've seen being used. there is no quick and easy way when you have to jar fighters, even now it takes me several hours to sort them out.

Don't count on your first spawn not all surviving - my first spawn was my second largest ever. I ended up with nearly 200 mature fighters, about 80% of them males. I then lost most of my males at 6 mths old when I went on holiday and they were overfed.

My largest spawn was over 300 and they were all males!!! Not a female among them. Fortunately they were peaceful and never fought at all.

I use large preserving jars for my boys. They sit in my guppy tanks and get heated that way. Have never had any issues of them jumping into the tanks etc (touch wood - have only had them like this for 5 weeks or so).

My girls share a tank with a breeding group of guppies at present but will probably go back to the community tank soon. That way I can use the tank as a grow out (when I have a new tank for the guppies),

I did see plans on the net a few years ago for dividing up a tank using the plastic embroidery canvas stuff. Looked like a really neat way of doing things as the water was still able to flow round etc.

Thankjs guys for all the help. do you know this pic of alamin4304 setup is would really like to seee it. It's not that I'm to lazy to do a waterchange I just thought that if their is a easier way to do a water change I would try it.

Alright guys I've decided to make my own ones. I'm going to use air line tubing and kerbarb sticks for the frame work because it won't rust. here is what the frame work looks like

006.jpg

003.jpg

Then I'm going to get some mesh to make the box/case around it so they'll have fresh water and any poo and uneaten food will fall through the bottom. I'll just get some suction caps to keep them stuck to the wall. If anyone has any ideas on how I can make these better please tell me.