Nutrafin CO2 help please.also what is it?

Dixon1990

If the Co2 comes out of it, yes.

If not, no!

Well, technically, I think the above is incorrect.

The purpose of the Nutrifin ladder or a diffuser is to increase the amount of contact the Co2 has with the water, therefore disapating it more efficiently into your water, so if the airstone just lets out big bubbles into the watercolumn it's probably no better than just having the tube releasing the Co2 straight into the water.

If you have the Nutrifin ladder, you will notice that the bubbles get smaller as they reach the top of the ladder because of the distance/time they have taken to travel up to the top, increasing the contact time with the water.

A diffuser breaks the Co2 into tiny bubbles that are more easily absorbed into the water.

I think we used the same amount of sugar and half a teaspoon of Elfin Instant Dry Yeast and a small pinch of baking soda (can't remember what the baking soda was for.) Fill it up with luke warm water to top mark and stir with a chopstick!

Oh, and make sure you do the top up real tight, or the Co2 will leak out around the screw top.

Patience, Grasshopper, patience...

Can take a couple of hours or more to get going.

We also used to wrap our bottle thingy up in wadding or filter floss and put it in a poly box with a hole in the top for the airline to come out of to keep it warm, especially in the winter.

The 'thing' is the CO2 diffuser I used, I found it a lot less obvious than the one in the pack which is a huge ladder thing, which I have since lost. Just stick it in the water on the end of the CO2 line and make sure it isn't screwed too tight.

The recipe they include in the pack is the two little packets in the set. Just add them to tepid water for CO2. Be careful you don't put too much water in or there will be white scum down your pipe.

Personally I found it better to use about 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/3 bottle of tepid water, dissolve well, add half a teaspoon of the active yeast I also sent in the bottle and stir well. That made CO2 for about five days in a steady stream from that diffuser. It takes a few hours for the CO2 to start bubbling.

Fist time you make a mixture, keep an eye on the pH as CO2 lowers it quickly if you're too generous, and watch out for yeasty scum down the pipe - turns the water white and plummets the pH. Trust me, I have experience with this!

Good Luck!

I just found out the eheim thing is a airstone, Can i still use this?

Yeah, I called it a diffuser as it had the excellent property of breaking the bubbles down into right tiny little ones whereas the ladder was letting huge bubbles up it's length.