Pico with built in Fuge/sump?

Dixon1990

Because they are small, there is a proportionately smaller margin for error, and marine already has a tiny margin for error as it is. They are also far more complex than freshwater, so there is more to go wrong as well. They really are not a great idea unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I have noticed that some of the most successful picos are those that belong to people who have successful larger tanks.

I think Melev was doing water changes in his pico with water from an established larger tank, therefore all the water parameters are correct every time he swapped the water out, no need to fiddle with chems/phosphate removers/salinity etc for a small amount of water.

Dixon I'm assuming you're not allowed to have a big one because of cost and size? What is the maximum size you are allowed and what is the maximum budget?

Tell us that and we can tell you what you can do, or wether it can be done at all.

All the above advice is right on the mark. It is hard especially when starting to have a proper marine tank in a tiny tank, for a lot of reasons. However if you were prepared to have no fish, it would be possible to run a tank even only 35 litres, with just some hardy corals such as zooathids and mushrooms. You should still have some kind of skimmer, but a very basic one would do if you had no fish.

But the cost, and skill level required, will increase many multiples if you attempted to have anything in the tank that needs feeding, such as fish, shrimps, or whatever.

Well that is a VERY weak skimmer. The thing is if you are not adding any food to the tank you can get away with less of a skimmer because there is not much to take out but i think that one might be not enough even in those circumstances.

To get an idea of the kind of bubble action you might want check this video. (even though the guy filmed it sideways :roll: ).

You could maybe make the one in your first video perform better by putting a powerful airpump on it? I don't know.

Anyhow if you can get the skimmer sorted the next main hurdle would be correct lighting, for the kind of corals you would have, in a 35 litre, you will want 20 or so watts of marine grade light.

The idea of that algae is that it will grow & use anything in the water that algae needs, so that nuisance algae can't grow in the rest of the tank. You can get similar algaes here. You harvest some of the algae as it grows to give room for it to keep growing.

That is the theory. The practice is not always quite so straight forward, ie, it will not always totally eradicate all other algae.