Turtles shell

mumzy50

Hi i have a red eared slider.I was given this by my sons ex.The turtle is stunted,it was keep in a small tank.No heat lamp,it cant swim.The water was kept clean as far as i know.I have had it about two months.The shell is pitted,it has had one moult since i had it.The shell still has places where it is pitted,and some nice smooth shell which looks nice,no soft parts.I am treating the shell with betadine antiseptic ointment.Any other ideas.It has improved and is happy and full of life

get it out into the sunlight as much as you can(without letting it dissappear on you)the pitting may always be there to a point but as long as it is clean and has no internal shell rot should be fine.Not sure about the cannot swim bit?any pics?

Hi there,

Are you keeping the turtle inside? If so does he have a reptile light and a heat source? I use a spot lamp with a 60 watt spotlight for the heat to dry the turtle's shell out when he wants to sunbathe and a reptile light covers the whole tank. The spotlight is cheap and effective my turtles shells are really healthy (they are Reeves though). If the pitts are not open wounds, then a lady I met with around seven or so Red ears told me that a fortnightly wipe down of their shells with Algae rid keeps them in nice condition and I think prevents any kind of fungus/rot (if the lighting conditions are met). I made up my own concoction of a couple of tea tree drops in some vegetable oil which I apply to their shells occasionly. I'm not an expert but these things work for me :)

HTH

Mel :)

Hi the turtle spends allday out side,comes in at night.I have a alamp for at night to dry him out.Was told as he spends all day out side i dont need a lamp for him, till winter.I will be getting one in a couple of weeks.as it will get to cold for him.Will take him to vet neek week to get him checked.Not looking forward to that bill.I have heard they are quite dear when dealing with turtles.

doubt if it warrants a trip to the vet with what you have already done being fine.Most of them don`t know diddly squat other than how to give you a huge bill.There are exeptions of course.I would carry on as you are till as you say it gets cooler.You may have to set yourself up with a heater for winter and a uv light for him to bask under.You did not say anymore about the can`t swim thing?

Hi repto no he cant swim,hes about eight, and lucky if hes about 15cm.The tank he was in was roughly 40cm long 25cm wide 30cm hight he had a big rock in there,which took up a lot of space and not much water.I have tried raising the water a bit at a time but he cant swim,he walks along the bottem .