Made it to Day 7 with Blue Ram Fry!!!

Hannahbell

Since she's doing pretty well and no questions was asked, that is why I didn't post on the tread.

If you want to know how I did it, this is what I did:

I set up small 1 ft BB tank with just a heater in it set at 28 deg. and an airstone.

Put 2 male and 2 female in the tank to pair up. Once they pair up I get rid of the other two.

When the fry hatch I add half a litre of green water(infusoria) in the tank.

After a week I start feeding them with BBS 3-4 times a day and do a 20% water change evry night one hour after the last feeding.

When the frys are 3 weks old I give them a dose of prazi to keep the flukes at bay. Redose with prazi when they are 6 weeks old.

Without a filter DAILY WATERCHANGE IS A MUST to stop the uneaten food polluting the water.

With live food and premium water quality the frys grow very fast and strong.

That is the way I do it and hope it is of some help to hobbyist that wants to try breeding them.

Keep in mind that what works for me might not necessary workout for others so if what ever way you're doing it give you good results, don't change it.

cheers,

ron

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that perhaps the microworms aren't enough now that they are starting to grow a bit more. What about adding something else while you wait for the brine shrimp to hatch, even if its liquifry (in a small dose) or something else just to give them something extra to eat. I do this with my fighter fry right up until they are about 8 weeks old. I find that when the liquifry doesn't dissolve that this is the best as they just go down to the bottom of the tank and nibble at it.

Is the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs ok to give them?? I still have some liquid fry so I will give them that too. I did another gravel vac just before and man did it stink. If you put your nose in the actual tank, it smells fine, but once you get the shite out of the gravel and into the bucket, it reeks :-? What is 'FLUKES' and can I buy 'prazi' at the pet shop?? Thanks for your advice too ron. Im just so surprised and Stoaked to get them to this stage. My daughters are loving watching them grow from eggs into actual little fish. 8)

if the babies have there own tank remove gravel as all the food will just stay in the bottom as you have to feed babies more often so more food gets traped at least until there big enough also you lessen the chances of disease and invest in a turkey baster to suck up poo and uneaten foods just my two cents not to offend any one

PS: congratulations on doing so well

Credit to Luke for re-sizing them for me and getting them up on here. There is less now though :( But at least I still have some!! :) The one with them in the medicine cup was when I did a gravel vac. There were 7 but only managed to catch 6. My girls wanted to see them up close so I put them in there for them to see. Fry are bunched up now and ready for bed......... as am I. Will let you all know how they are going tomorrow night.

On sunday, I took the fry out and counted 42. I took all the gravel out of the tank also as it was just foul smelling everytime I did a vac. Put all fry and new water + some of the old water. Last count I have 36 fry. Some have been having these long things hanging off them. Is this "Flukes" They seem to be on the smaller ones. I got a brine shrimp hatchery. It came with 3 little bags of egg mix. Unfortunatly I think its just an educational one for kids, (and my girls LOVE seeing the little shrimp jiggling round in the collection container). The fry love them, so I will have to invest in a proper shrimp hatchery. Still trying to get hold of a sponge filter. The pet shops here dont seem to have any. There is a double on on TM, but would that not be too much for a 28 ltr tank??? Ummm, I think thats all, just thought Id update you all on how they are doing. Im stoaked once again to have gotten this far, and hope that I can get even further. :D

Hey! Just saw this post. Bummer the numbers are getting down... yea you definitely wanna get the bbs cranking. Not sure exactly what you mean about a double sponge filter but it should be sweet, pretty hard to overdose. The best ones are those black sponge ones with grey tube through the middle. That way there's no holes for the fry to potentially get sucked into like many traditional sponge/box filters.

Are you talking about the sponge filter that has the black cylindrical sponge on the end and the airline tubing hooks onto it? The bubbles come out the end of the plastic that runs up the inside of the sponge?

Not a very good description I know..

I have a spare one here if you let me have your address that I'm happy to send to you. The sponge has been used before but I just reuse them and sterilise them after each use. That way they last for ages.

• 2 weeks later...

THEY ARE STILL ALIVE :o Last count there were 22, and thats with them all moving around. One in particular is quite large compared to the others, and I can see the black stripes over its eyes which is really cool. The sponge filter I got was far too big for the tank :( , but they are big enough now for a filter, so I got a green one that attaches to the air hose. It has carbon at the top and white filter wool at the bottom. Seems to be doing the trick. They are eating crushed up flake food (TetraMin Tropical Crisps). The shrimp hatchery I bought has not lasted long. Like I may have said, its a little black box with a collection tube on top. I have tried to get hold of the egg mix that came with it (only got 3 with it) but can not seem to get an answer on where or how I get hold of more. So if anyone knows of fool proof ways of hatching some Baby Brine Shrimp, please PM me so I can print out the instructions.

:cry::cry::cry: I think there are about 10 left. Im pretty sure they got fin rot, as the remaining ones have manky looking fins. Im so gutted. Got up this morning and most of them were dead on the bottom of the tank. Ive cleaned it out, and dosed it with Wunder Tonic. Not sure if it will help at all, not at this stage anyway as the remaining fish are not looking that great. I cant believe this happened practically over night!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Ive had them in my community tank and they have bred, but obviously the eggs got eaten up. I have to sort out my tanks and get them in by themselves again soon. Unfortunatly I think the female has some kind of tumor on her eye. At first I thought it was pop eye, but treatment did not work and it appears to be spreading. Its like nothing I have ever seen before. She seems her usual self though.

All of my blues either died with increased resperation or what resembles tumours (maybe hole in the head? But water quality wasn't bad) on the head that grew, for the first 2 weeks or so they looked fine but eventually passed on :(

I hope that isn't what has happened to yours? Any chance of a pic?