Wild Angel Identification Tips

Dixon1990

I just got my P.Leopoldi and made me think how we are supposed to tell the difference between the 3 species.Scalare, Altum, Leopoldi.

And came accross this.

img14.jpg

It shows you how to tell the difference just from looking at the head.

1= P. Altum

img03.jpg

2.4= P. Scalare.

img02.jpg

5= Leopoldi

img04.jpg

I think this is a good picture for identifying if your species is what you think it is.

Taken from this Site in a foriegn Language.

http://www.vitawater.ru/aqua/fish/papers/altum.shtml

Hi all.

I have said on MANY, MANY OCCASSIONS: that if you buy supposedly "WILD CAUGHT FISH", you have no idea what the F1 offspring are going to look like.

YOU DO HOWEVER, EXPECT THEM TO PRODUCE AT LEAST 50% FRY WITH CHARACTERISTICS OF THE PARENTS.

If you buy fish from the LPS then you may NEVER KNOW just what the offspring are going to look like.

The reason is that there are too many people out there trying to make a quick buck breeding "EASY" fish of nondiscript parentage and different gene pools.

WHAT I AM SAYING IS DONT TRY TO SECOND GUESS NATURE.

YOU'LL ONLY LOOSE.

I have Angels that breed from a Black Female and a Koi Pearlscale Male.

The offspring will never see the outside of my fishroom as every one that survived ( the whole 9) has a pectoral fin deformity.

The cross resulted in the death of 98% of the fry within a week of being laid.

There had been about five different spawnings of this pair.

I consider my skills amazing at beating mother nature from killing off the few that I have.

:bow:

• 5 months later...

The Leopoldi of mine had beautiful emerald green colouration behind the eye.. that is a key to those also as far as alot of literature and pictures on the internet...

Here is a good link to a good pic of leopoldi... mine mirror image:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=196

These when they came in were retailing at around $150 each odd... very nice angel with extraordinary behaviour.... and nowhere near as aggressive I found as Scalare.

These when they came in were retailing at around $150 each odd... very nice angel with extraordinary behaviour.... and nowhere near as aggressive I found as Scalare.

How long ago is that, and are they being bred here?

This proves my point about why people should learn the latin names. How many hybrid mutts do we have floating around just being called "angel fish" because the people who bred them were too ignorant to identify them properly, or didn't even realise the name angel fish covers several different species...