Blue Rams Spawned Again, How can I keep the fry alive??

Hannahbell

Last time they spawned (abut 3-4 weeks ago) I managed to get a good lot of free swimming fry (about 50 give or take out of about 150). Within a couple of days I slowly ended up with none. The male was showing a lot of agression towards the female, so I put her in a little holding tank within the same fish tank. But alas, they still all died. What can I possibly to to keep some of the fry alive?? It is the furtherest I have got them. The first time they spawned was in my community tank, eggs were eaten. They spawned a couple of times after that with no results. I moved them to their own little 28 ltr tank. The first time they spawned, I got a few wrigglers out of it, but that was it. I seem to be getting further each time, but wonder if there is anything else I can do to help the survival rate. I have decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and liquid fry food.

Probably best not to threaten the rams. Its the only tank I have for them as the other is a community tank and my 8 year old daughter has another smallish tank with siamese fighters in it. So best just to leave them be? Just feed them. What about water changes??? I have been wary about doing them incase I get some of the fry. Thank you for your advice. I will tell my girls not to go near the tank for a while. Its hard because they are so curious.

If you waterchange while there are no babys, you won't freak them out, and might even get them in the mood :o

You (and other family members) don't have to fully ignore them, just come up slowly, and if a ram swims right up to the front of the tank looking big and tough (fishy wise) back off - they probably have babies.

HTH

Yeah. We know when they have babies. My girls can see them. But its like been in a candy shop for them, they are so intrigued by all these little fish. I wonder if thats why they did not survive last time? Maybe the daddy felt so threatened by the little faces up at the tank he perhaps ate them?? Thanks for your input. I will defanatly try and keep the girls away from the tank :D

Try putting some green water in the tank for the frys to feed on till they're big enough to eat BBS. Feeding green water is better than liquid fry because it doesn't foul the water as quick. You can start doing water changes when the frys are eating BBS.

Best to put an established sponge filter in the tank too.

Remove one parent or they'll kill each other. Take one out and put it back in the com tank and not cage up in the same tank

ron.

This is going to sound silly, but where do I get 'green water' from?? Thanks for all your advice also. I have removed the female as he was just attacking her all the time. I do not have a sponge filter, but if I put a bit of that white filter sponge in the filter where it takes the water in, will that be ok?? He's a fantastic father guarding the eggs so well.

As above but the water should be used tank water.

You can also use the liquid on micro worm cultures, it contains yeast which the fry can eat and baby micro worms that they maybe able to eat.

I don't have micro worms at present but someone here will, if you don't already have them.