pumps

doch

He'd need two 1060s to get enough flow. Even the 1262, which seems to be the biggest eheim makes wouldn't be big enough and I've had quotes for them from $300-600. So...Ummm...I've got better places to spend my money than on overpriced eheim pumps. I think I'd go with something like a pair of laguna pond pumps.

Ira - depends on the minimum/maximum rate of his overflow - just because he has a 3300l/hr now, doesnt mean thats the minimum and that he has to stick with it. Its only (I assume based on your profile) for a 300 litre tank so a 1060 for the sump and the addition of a closed loop may suffice. You've only got better places to spend your money on than Eheims because you're tight - it amazes me why you're setting up a reef tank in the first place... unless it's a 15 year project.

ha haaa! shall i describe what you ate for breakfast too?

still, point of dicussion is that its still expensive - even if you're only going fish and live rock. were you not after coral - im sure i read somewhere you were looking for some. how much did you just spend on live rock that got shipped down to you?

Nope, I'm not looking for coral. And it was $275 for that live rock, but that's a case of the best price around, not a case where I could have gotten something else that would work just fine for far less.

To get the thread back on track, I would reccomend an Ehiem 1262. I use 2 of these for sump returns. If you are paying more than $400 for these pumps you are paying to much, get hold of me 'I know some people'.

As a sump return I agree with what Chimera said, its a maximium for the plumbing, not a minimum.

My system has about 9 Ehiem pumps running on it, and its no accident that companies like Korallin and Deltec use these pumps. They present the best 'value' on the market. Value however does not equate to be the cheapest at the point of purchase.

I try and get the most out of my pumps, hence the reason I use gravity so much. I feed the tank via the Ehiems, then I feed the skimmer via gravity (3000 litres an hr), my mechnical filteration and my Zeovit are all fed via gravity. And they also circulate water through my Sea Swirls and SCWDs so I am using them as much as possilbe.

Yes Ehiem are expensive but its not for nothing. They work for ever, spare parts are available here in NZ (and often locally), and they are suitably powerfull.

The 1262 is the biggest, the 1264 is not available yet.

Get the ehiem, NEVER worry about it again.

Pies